PDA

View Full Version : struggling to work this sand out!

Australian natives
09-20-2010, 11:59 AM
alrgihty so i have added sand to my tank as a substrate and as advised i went to stir it up yesterday to release any pockets of gass in it (it has been in the tank for about a week).

There was LOTS of trapped gas. if i put my hand in the one spot and wriggle my fingers around and stirred it up constant bubbles were being released for about 20 seconds. then if i moved to an adjacent area and repeated, the same thing happened. (i am thinking this is because i never really stirred it up after tank filling).

anyway. after stirring it up the water was very cloudy, and i decided id do a pH test. my pH was at 6.4 down from 7.2 the day before. so i quickly did a large water change.

what caused this? was the gas in the sand the cause for the pH swing? will this happen every time i stir up my sand? should i be worried for my fish?

any advice is appreciated.
cheers

promise
09-20-2010, 01:10 PM
You probably answered this in another post but what san did you use in the end??

Australian natives
09-21-2010, 02:31 AM
creek sand.

bushwhacker
11-12-2010, 01:14 AM
the sand hasnt been in there long enough to build up any gasses all you did was release air pockets which didnt hurt a thing.. i highly doubt the sand stirring changed your ph.. maybe the sand itself did.. not knowing your type of sand there i cant honestly say