PDA

View Full Version : Friend for the betta

Phaedrus2129
09-19-2010, 08:53 PM
... Or at least something he won't kill. Algae is starting to be a problem in my betta tank and I need something to take care of it. I've heard of using otos with bettas, to varying degrees of success, but I don't want to risk him killing it, and I have enough otos in my big 46ga if I have to rescue it. I've heard about using snails as algae eaters, but I'm not sure where to get them, what type to get, etc. And I'm afraid they might take over the tank.

Help?

Lab_Rat
09-19-2010, 09:29 PM
I keep 2 nerite snails in with my CT betta and he leaves them alone. The best algae control is to figure out what is causing it, correcting the problem, and manual removal.

Phaedrus2129
09-19-2010, 09:36 PM
The cause is just 5ppm nitrates and a 15W bulb. It's tough to keep nitrates below that, and I need the bulb for the live plants. Not a problem, just natural growth.

Maisy
09-20-2010, 03:06 AM
You could get a trapdoor snail?
I had one, and it had only a few babies, but died shortly after and none of them lived. :c

Mystery snails are also pretty, but I don't know how fast they reproduce. I've had ramshorns and was soon overrun with them, hehe.

Good luck finding a snail species, though!

Goes to 11!
09-20-2010, 04:02 AM
I keep 2 nerite snails in with my CT betta and he leaves them alone. +1 Nerites Rock! [AKA-Neritina, See avatar thumbs2: ] I forgot to mention in my sig that I have them {almost} everywhere.

The best algae control is to figure out what is causing it, correcting the problem, and manual removal.
+1 Yep, Beats fighting it.

AdrienDeLaChicago
09-20-2010, 06:30 AM
I have otos with my bettas. One of the bettas I have chases the oto in the tank. But then the oto finds an inconspicuous area to hide and then the betta is like..."egh...moving right along."

The snails people are recommending here sound like a great option.

Ashley
09-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Totally depends on your bettas personality. My one betta is a ham. He's a big macho betta, and knows it. I put one snail in and he bit the "antlers" (not sure what they're called!) right off.

Phaedrus2129
09-29-2010, 01:52 AM
I went out and got a chunk of a grassy clinging vegetation full of snails that my LFS has in a few tanks, as well as a small cave rock thingy. We seem to have at least five snails, and they're happily munching algae off the rock that's been in since the start, though unfortunately they have yet to discover the algae on the front of the tank. The betta doesn't seem to mind them, treats 'em like part of the scenery.

We rearranged the tank a bit too. Originally we had a large upright rock in the center with fake plants on either side. Now the large rock is on the left side (by the filter), then an onion sprout to the right of that, then a fabric plant, then the cave rock with the grassy stuff behind it, then a large plastic plant. It gives the fish a lot of room to swim around in, but also several hiding places, while giving the tank a nice balanced look.