PDA

View Full Version : Idea to sustain more CO2 in an aquarium, your input please?

AdrienDeLaChicago
09-18-2010, 01:55 PM
I was wondering what you all thought about this as an idea to help keep CO2 in my tanks. I will either buy or construct glass hoods for my 10 gallon tanks. I like to keep the water line pretty high so that the waterline is above the black rim of the tank. I was thinking of using aquarium safe silicone to adhere a shallow bowl on the underside of the glass hood. I would use a clear plastic type of container so that it would not be so visible. I would set my tank up in a way so that the bubbles from my DIY CO2 injection would rise and collect up into this bowl. So as the bubbles burst they are trapped into the underside of the bowl and therefore the exchange of CO2 is forced to go back into the water instead of simply pop at the surface and expel into the air. Granted, eventually there will be to much CO2 forming and then bubbles will be released from the bowl. But say if I were to use a 5" shallow bowl to sustain CO2 at all times, I would imagine that this would create an impact on increase CO2 levels. I just thought this up. I am not sure if this will work, but the fancy blown glass contraptions I have seen to trap CO2 are basically following the same idea, no?

Any opinions?

Lady Hobbs
09-18-2010, 02:06 PM
CO2 is not bubbles and you can not see it. And you can also not trap it in a bowl. Just run your CO2 and drop in an airstone at night.

WhiteDevil
09-18-2010, 02:44 PM
dont get an airstone, the Co2 breaks them down over time. a ceramic or wood aerating "stone" would be a much wiser choice for longevity.

I use a marineland powerhead to dispense my Co2 into my 52, I am on a growth rate with my plants that have completely overgrown my 52 in the matter of a week on DIY Co2.

Lady Hobbs
09-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Yes, good point. I was just trying to let him know this need not be a huge product. :) I wasn't concerned with them breaking down. They cost $1.

WhiteDevil
09-18-2010, 02:50 PM
I do because the chemicals they use to get the sand to stick together in stone form. it breaks off and fish especially corydoras munch on it and get impacted because its not like normal granular sand and wont process thru their digestive system like sand grains would.

I lost a few corydoras and one big bull BNP to this when i started to dabble with planted tanks a few years back. It felt like murder.

Lady Hobbs
09-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Another good point. The wood and ceremic are very good stones, no doubt, and he needs only a tiny one for a 10 gallon.

WhiteDevil
09-18-2010, 02:56 PM
yep,however in a 10g tank he will need to watch the oxygen levels because even DIY can overload a tank and bring it down really quick. I figure in a 10g it must happen since i seen it happen in my 52.

Wait till he does his first trim out, man he is gonna be excited, then reality of doing it ever 1-2 weeks will set in lol.

I can say one thing, my DIY tank has in a 5 day time beaten the growth from my 210 that runs pressurized Co2. (my father and I compete weekly on tank growth, sad but gives us something to argue about)

Good Luck Adrian, you got a great knowledgeable group here that has more hands on experience then any forum ive been on and these folks answer with honest truths.

Lady Hobbs
09-18-2010, 04:06 PM
He sure will. I killed 14 fish in my 29 not due to CO2 itself but by placing the diffuser too near the filter uptake. The filter sucked way too much CO2 into the tank. Of course I know better now but back then I didn't.

At least he's planting his 10 gallon! Mine is sitting here full of soaking wood. LOL

WhiteDevil
09-18-2010, 04:37 PM
my wife yells at me cause the kids pool, the bathtub(guest bathroom) and several of those sterilite and rubbermaid totes in the back chock full of wood and plants.

My 52 had a Co2 overdose, I set up a new rig on it the day before and DIY usually doesnt kick in for 24 hours at full blast, well I came home from the tavern with the wife and noticed the tank looked and sounded as if it was boiling, hit the lights and had 4 of 4 angels floating at the top gasping, so got em in a 5g bucket with air stone and replumbed the Co2 w/ a venturi this time and managed to save all but 1 angel. I literally punched myself in the head a few times over being naive and making a rookie mistake on a 3 year old DIY system lol

Im bad, its my kids, my fish then the wife she dont like that much but i keep telling her stop bringing me home glass boxes.

AdrienDeLaChicago
09-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Thank you for the information. I have been doing a DIY CO2 system in my prior 6.6 gallon tanks. I did not have any problems.

I was using one cup of sugar to a half teaspoon of Brewer's yeast. I will probably add some baking soda to the mix per Plant Man's recommendations.

Would either one of you mind sharing your recipes for DIY CO2?

Thanks for all the information you have already provided me.

I am learning SOOOOO much from this site everyday. I am addicted and it feels so productive to learn from all of you. :shappy:

rich311k
09-18-2010, 11:26 PM
We do not need the advertising for other forums here. A link to an article is one thing but saying we don't know what we are talking about is untrue and rather impolite.