PDA

View Full Version : Betta flaring at me

Phaedrus2129
09-16-2010, 01:12 PM
So I've got a beautiful blue and red delta-tail betta who we got about two weeks ago. He's living in a 6.6ga bookshelf tank with just a couple rocks and a couple live and fake plants. We change his water every 2-3 days, 2.5ga out, 2ga dechlored tap water and .5ga distilled in. We keep him on a diet of mainly bloodworms, with occasional flake food, tubifex worms, and sinking shrimp pellets. Yes, the tank is cycled.

I like to watch him, and around feeding times will get up close to the glass to see his colors better. When I do this he'll often swim up to the glass and look at me for a couple of seconds, then flare his gills. I've read this is a sign of aggression/fear, and it worries me. He does know me, he gets excited when I walk by, and he responds well to our feeding ritual (I tap once on the glass to get his attention, then tap the water where I feed him to get him to swim up). I've tried playing with him, but he isn't interested in my finger, except when I leave my finger in the water, in which case I get nipped.

Why would he be flaring his gills at me?

Dave66
09-16-2010, 01:18 PM
He flares at you when you are close like that because he thinks you are in his territory, and he's trying to scare you away by acting big. Actually it's a sign of health, since he's so in tune with his environment.

Dave

Phaedrus2129
09-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks, it's good to hear that. :)

BridalWreath
09-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Mine flares at my friends, since he's associated me with food. At times, I've also seen him flare at his snails too.

FishGirl-Seattle
09-17-2010, 05:03 AM
Sounds like a perfectly normal, healthy Betta! You just have to love that they will cop an attitude with a creature 1000 times bigger than they are! :hmm3grin2orange:

Phaedrus2129
09-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I can see the territorial nature of it now. I get up in his face and he flares at me, then turns aside and spreads his fins as wide as he can, so he looks like a 3" fish instead of a 1". Then if I walk away and sit a few feet away so he can still see me he'll parade back and forth with his colors showing, like "Yeah, that's right, you just stay over there in your own part of the pond, pal." :lol:

Thanks for the reassurance, all. :)