PDA

View Full Version : Horseshoe Crab Tank Size

gamey353
09-16-2010, 02:27 AM
I've been doing research on Horseshoe Crabs,since I am planning on getting one,but I've been hearing different minimum tank sizes.The main 3 I've see are 30 gal,50 gal,and 100 gal.Can someone clear up which one is the true minimum?:help:

William
09-16-2010, 02:42 AM
What species? Some species grows past 60 cm / 24 inches / alost 2 ft.

gamey353
09-16-2010, 02:48 AM
Oh,sorry,Limulus polyphemus .

William
09-16-2010, 02:57 AM
That would be Limulus polyphemus, the largest of the horseshoe crabs. Bottom space is more important than the amount of gallons but I would not recommended anything below 500 gallon considering their size (2ft) and that is still on the small side. It should also be mentioned that they are hard to keep and most die from strvation in aquariums. It can take a molt or two before this happens.

gamey353
09-16-2010, 03:00 AM
Oh,well,is there a smaller (And easier to care for) species?

William
09-16-2010, 03:03 AM
There are 4 species and the other 3 are smaller but not much easier to care for. Feeding them can be a problem. Do you have any experinces ith aquarium or is this your first go? If so I would recommend starting ith something more easy to learn a bit before you get one.

gamey353
09-16-2010, 03:08 AM
I had a small fish tank when I was little (can't remember what was in it,though..) but besides for that,no.But I'm always up for a challenge.And,if all else fail,I could always find him a new home.So,whats the smallest breed?

William
09-16-2010, 03:34 AM
Carcinoscorpius rotundicauda is the smallest species but it can still reach 40 cm / 16 inches.

lobsternoob
09-17-2010, 04:19 AM
Honestly Gamey, as William mentioned horseshoe crabs are fairly challenging. I've always wanted to have a tank for them, it just has never been feasible. The problem might not so much be getting it a new or better home (which might also be harder than you think based on the type of setup they require) but might more be just keeping them alive. Unfortunately that is often the case with cool/oddball things, they can be difficult to keep. One thing you could try that is interesting is mole crabs. I believe they are fairly easy to keep alive, they're quite small, and can be caught in a lot of areas. Unfortunately you might not see them in a tank too much, and they arent as cool as horseshoe crabs. Another interesting critter you could try is called a triops. They look a lot like miniature horseshoe crabs, and are very easy to keep. unfortunately they don't have the longest of lifespans, but it is fairly simple to get a continuous population of them going. If you do check out mole crabs, or decide to get a horseshoe crab, check with your local laws, because these are native animals in some areas (not commercially bred for the aquarium trade) there can be some restrictions to keeping them, or catching them from the wild. I'm not sure where you are from so this may not apply, but that's just what I would do here in California.

oh ya, and here's a link to a picture of a triops, they're quite similar looking to horseshoe crabs in a lot of ways.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:oCkS8VjVHCb3KM:http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7273/tridlxl2.jpg&t=1