PDA

View Full Version : Low Light Tank

Arthur
12-27-2004, 06:41 PM
I have a 20 gallon tank, and I'm toying with the idea of planting it. But the lightning isn't that great.

What is your favorite lowlight plant/plants and why?
I know I can look up low light plants in the plant profiles, but it's always nice to get peoples opinions and hear others experiences.

/Arthur

Komar
12-29-2004, 01:16 AM
I've got a Cryptocoryne wendtii "brown" in a 3 gallon Betta tank with a 7 watt *incandescent* bulb. I added a small CO2 system, and it's been growing quite well (but not as well as it would with fluorescent lighting).

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

I also have Limnophila sessiliflora and Bacopa australis growing well without CO2 or fertilizer in a 10 gallon tank that has a 20 gallon aquarium light over it (15 watt, 18" bulb).

The Limnophila grows slowly here compared to in my other tanks, but it is significantly bushier and nicer. This plant would be my first recommendation, though all three should be enough to nicely plant a 20 gallon tank with the standard canopy and lighting. Add CO2 and iron-enriched plant fertilizer, and you should be good to go.

Arthur
12-30-2004, 10:37 PM
How big was the Limnophila when you put it in the tank?

Komar
12-30-2004, 10:50 PM
I use snippings of at least 4" when I replant the Limnophila in any given tank, so that's about what it was when I put it in my 10 gallon tank. (I also try to keep it bunched in stalks of 6 to 10.)

The Limnophila currently in my 10 gallon tank has been there for about three weeks, and some of the stalks are about 2" away from the surface. So, it grew about 4" in that time. Some of the stalks didn't grow much at all, but are still very green, giving the plant a very full and bushy look.

I recently reorganized this tank, and noticed that the roots were growing in very nicely, too.

Arthur
01-02-2005, 02:37 PM
OK, thank's.

Komar
01-03-2005, 01:21 PM
I just added a small group of Limnophila to my Betta tank. The Limnophila already doubled in size. (It even grew an inch overnight right after I planted it.) I might have to prune this plant soon before it hits the surface and blocks the light for my other plants...

Definitely make a CO2 injection system and get plant fertilizer. These are really inexpensive, and they really help in a low-lit tank.

Arthur
01-07-2005, 04:03 PM
(It even grew an inch overnight right after I planted it.)

Wow! 8O

Anonymous
05-12-2005, 09:23 PM
I have a 20 gallon tank, and I'm toying with the idea of planting it. But the lightning isn't that great.

What is your favorite lowlight plant/plants and why?
I know I can look up low light plants in the plant profiles, but it's always nice to get peoples opinions and hear others experiences.

/Arthuri dont kno wat 2 tell u :(

knifefan
12-27-2005, 11:19 PM
I have had really good success with java fern. It grows great even though I sometimes forget to turn on the lighting on the tank quite frequently. oops.