PDA

View Full Version : how and reasons for anemones to bud

miach
09-14-2010, 11:39 PM
i'm looking to get a bta soon for my clowns and was wondering how often they bud and why they do so i can increase their yield. i looked around online and all they could tell me was that the reproduce sexually or by budding but nothing else. i have also seen that you should feed them once a week. by feeding more do they get bigger or less healthy?

labnjab
09-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Our bta has only split. In the year and a half since we've had it its split 3 times. We use to feed it 3 times a week but after the 2nd split it stopped taking food all together, yet is still 100% healthy and happy. We did switch to halides from t-5's about the time of the 2nd split so that may have something to do with it not eating. I didn't notice any difference in growth between feeding and not feeding. Currently we have 2 as we sold a few of the splits. On is roughly 12-14 inches across and the other is 6-8

miach
09-15-2010, 01:46 PM
thanks. have you noticed a reason for them to split or is it almost random? did you sell to lfs or other people and how much did you make?

labnjab
09-15-2010, 04:04 PM
the 1st and 3rd split were random, no big changes, water parameters were right on. The 2nd split happened shortly after we upgraded to a larger tank.

We sold them to members of our local reef club. I usually get $25-$30 a piece for them

miach
09-15-2010, 04:51 PM
sweet thanks for the info to bad they dont split more you could make some decent money. i also heard that if they move and leave a bit behind it turns into another one. is that true? if so almost sounds like you can make cuttings off them to clone them? but that probably effects their health. what do you think labnjab?

labnjab
09-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Some people cut them, but I wouldn't. They cut them right down the center of the mouth with a razor blade, but there's not a good survival rate. I've never heard of them leaving a piece behind and that growing into a new one. I would just let nature take its course and let them spit on their own. Some split more then others.

miach
09-15-2010, 05:11 PM
thanks sounds good i think its defiantly better to keep them growing as natural as possible