PDA

View Full Version : Ever breed Stingrays?

Fish_Lovers_001
06-18-2007, 07:10 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has ever bred stingrays and was sucessfull. Let me know.

Fishguy2727
06-18-2007, 09:01 PM
I was about to setup for it. Stingrays are on odd one though. They are not extremely challenging requiring exact parameters, specific changes, or challenging diets or anything like that. And there is nothing to trigger them to breed either, they either do it or they don't. Basically do it right. Big tank, massive filtration, and an aggressive water change schedule. Make sure the pH is stable, not necessarily 6.5 or anything specific, just very stable. Feed a high quality diet. I was going to get mine to feed out of a bowl and get them on New Life Spectrum (NLS). Most ray keepers get them on frozen and feed a variety, but I would go one step further and get them on the best food out there, NLS.

You are wanting some I'm assuming, what is the plan or ideas so far?

Fish_Lovers_001
06-19-2007, 07:12 PM
My husband and me where thinking of starting with one and seeing how that goes and then getting another. My husband is in love with them. I thought it would be neat to try to bred. We arent sure which ones to get. We are making a custom tank that is 155 gallon for them.

Fishguy2727
06-20-2007, 04:12 AM
What are the dimensions of that 155?

Start with a female. If you end up breeding you want one male and two females, that way he can't pester one female to much. And with both females in and settled in and the male going in last, you should have no problems with him pestering them.

Will you have a quarantine tank? I highly suggest holding your water in some sort of conatiner(s) for water changes to make sure it is right. What filtration will you have?

Teacups are usually Potamotrygon reticulatus, a trio of which would fit in the 155. They stay relatively small (10-12" disk diameter) and are common so you should have good selection.

cocoa_pleco
06-20-2007, 04:16 AM
a long take would be best for them since they are mainly bottom sitters. make sure if its custom made you have a few braces on the tank to prevent a collapse

Drumachine09
06-20-2007, 04:22 AM
Also, a sand substrate is a must, as they will often bury themselves in the sand.

cocoa_pleco
06-20-2007, 04:29 AM
thats true too. all the ones at my lfs like to bury and hide. its actually kinda cute

Fishguy2727
06-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Sand is the ideal substrate for them, but actually once they are settled in and comfortable they should rarely use it.

Length is important, but width is a must as well. In general you want to base it on their max disk size and have a tank tank twice as wide and at least four times as long. They will use height by going up the walls, but it is not important, it's th ebottom area that is essential.

A top is also vital. As they roam and go up the sides of the tank they can end up launching themselves right out of the tank and onto the floor.

Fish_Lovers_001
06-21-2007, 01:43 PM
The tank is 30'wide i believe. it may be more. im not too sure as its a present for me