PDA

View Full Version : Plant sinkers/weights....UGH!

taralm13
09-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Ok so I recently placed an order for some food and a new test kit (yay!) but I forgot to get the plant sinkers that I so desperately needed....UGH! :banghead:

Well, I don't want to pay to ship these things as the shipping is like 7 times the cost of them. Is there anything else I can use to weight down my plants? I want to do some trimming and replanting today and I need a quick fix. I was thinking that maybe I could use a twist tie like the kind for garbage bags but they are made of plastic and metal (inside) and I have no idea if they would be safe or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WhiteDevil
09-14-2010, 05:26 PM
twist ties rust REALLY fast.

Ive used rubber bands and small rocks when I had sand before to keep some plants weighed down. What substrate do you use?

taralm13
09-14-2010, 05:37 PM
I have a very small gravel. It is a plant substrate....looks like the size of kitty litter. I suppose I could use rubber bands and small rocks...that is a good idea. I will search my house for rubber bands....are they safe? The only problem I could see with that idea would be getting the rubber bands around the stems without breaking them...I already had a hard time of it with the plant sinkers. I cannot believe how stupid I am that I forgot to order them.

rich311k
09-14-2010, 05:41 PM
What kind of plants? I just slip the stems in a at a bit of an angle and in a few days they will start to root. Some have to be replanted more than once, but I always win eventually.

taralm13
09-14-2010, 05:48 PM
The thicker stemmed ones work that way...and yes it does seem to take a few tries, but specifically I have trouble with Bacopa Australis. The stems are so thin and they break and they never stay down. I almost threw it away but decided to give it one more chance. Well it started to grow finally and now I need to trim and plant more!!! It is amazing what not touching and moving the plants will do for growth...lol. I also used the sinkers for my hornwort....stupid hornwort never stays put. I lose the sinkers on that when the roots rot away...I think I will have to start digging :scry:

DrNic
09-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Use plastic zip ties. Small zip ties are great for use with plants. Just don't tighten them too much or you'll hurt the plant. All you have to do is wrap the zip tie around the plants with a washer or nut on it and they will sink right to the bottom.