PDA

View Full Version : Clams

pnphappy
06-18-2007, 07:00 PM
This is just a general question on these animals, as I am trying to gather as much information on livestock before my next purchase.

For these animals, clams, how easy is it to care for them? I know invertebrates cannot tolerate pH changes and such, but other than that, are they easy to care for? I have an established tank filled with fish feces at the bottom in the gravel ( I do not vaccum). Can the clams survive off this?

Also, how do I know that the clam is healthy, or alive? If you had clams before I would appreciate it if you shared your knowledge. Thanks.

Edit: I am refering to freshwater clams Corbicual sp.

troy
06-18-2007, 08:21 PM
I believe they are cold water and they work like little filters. I almost bought one once for $1.99.

gm72
06-18-2007, 08:26 PM
If it is alive you won't be able to open its shell. Don't know anything else about them, though.

06-18-2007, 10:17 PM
why not just experiment with a couple manila clams from an asian supermarket.
cheap enough, just to try them out.

same thing with crawfish. thats where i will get mine once i get my tank up.

cocoa_pleco
06-19-2007, 02:31 AM
i tried manila clams from a store and they all died

Incredulous_Ed
06-19-2007, 03:15 AM
Alot of times freshwater clams will die because they cannot get enough food. They do alot better in green water tanks. If you can feed them lplankton they will probably survive.

cocoa_pleco
06-19-2007, 03:22 AM
woah, wait, manilas are FW? I kinda sorta had mine in SW since i figured thats what they were

pnphappy
06-19-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm probably going to shy away from these animals for right now. They require green water and I am not going to display a green watered aquarium just for them. Thanks for you help though.