PDA

View Full Version : Is something wrong with my betta?

MatthewTran
09-14-2010, 04:10 AM
I recently got a betta and introduced him to his new 5 gallon eclipse aquarium 2 days ago. The natural temperature of the aquarium is about 78-80 degrees. There is plenty of plants and coverage in the aquarium.

He is still eating food however I don't know why but he keeps swimming up and down very quickly at the corners of the aquarium I'm afraid he is going to hurt himself or something but he won't stop... It's like he's freaking out or something he isn't flaring or anything just zooming up and down the same sides of his aquarium always against the walls all day long...

Has anybody dealt with this? is anything wrong?

Thanks in advance.

korith
09-14-2010, 05:12 AM
Probably will settle down once he gets used to the new surroundings. I had this one betta who didn't move much at all for a few days, took him a while to get used to 10g from a betta cup. Others seem to take to the new surroundings right away and explore everything.

Give it a few days and see what happens.

Nautiline
09-14-2010, 06:10 AM
What are the water parameters of the tank, is it fully cycled? The water temperature sounds fine. It could be just as Korith said and your betta just needs to adjust and settle down, but knowing that the water params are what they should be will help rule that out as a potential problem.

FishGirl-Seattle
09-14-2010, 06:30 AM
I've seen fish do this when ammonia is high - some even try to jump out of the water. What is your ammonia reading?

MatthewTran
09-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I am not really sure of the ammonia parameters. I will buy something to test them today though. Since it's a new aquarium I've been doing like a 50% water change every 2 days... don't know if that's right. Can anyone tell me what the ideal ammonia should be?

Thanks

fins_n_fur
09-14-2010, 01:56 PM
The ideal ammonia reading in a cycled tank is 0, as well as for nitrites.