PDA

View Full Version : New To Planting ( advice wanted )

BiGBlak
09-10-2010, 04:31 AM
Im new to planting and i have close to no idea of what im doing .

-My tank is still cycling with a air stone and the water temp is close to 90 degrees.
-The lighting is 96w 6700k bulbs.

So far the plants i have in the tank are
-2 pots of Swords ( ID Plz)
-3 small java fern
-Moss Ball
-Clump of Java Moss

The substrate is black Tahitian moon sand with some seachem fluorite tabs spread threw out the tank . Im not using any ferts for the fact that i think it may mess up my readings of my perimeters a few of my swords are not in good shape but i didnt pay full price for them and i have the moss in the breeder thing because i didnt have anything to try and tie it down with ...

Tell me what you think and suggestions .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXnN303GBos

mommy1
09-10-2010, 04:42 AM
i am very much a plant noob so will leave that to someone else.

the temp in your tank is too high for cycling. nitrifying bacteria grow best in the mid 70's, 77 being optimal. at higher temps the lack of dissolved oxygen in the water will slow down reproduction to the point of the bacteria dying.

BiGBlak
09-10-2010, 04:48 AM
i am very much a plant noob so will leave that to someone else.

the temp in your tank is too high for cycling. nitrifying bacteria grow best in the mid 70's, 77 being optimal. at higher temps the lack of dissolved oxygen in the water will slow down reproduction to the point of the bacteria dying.
just turned the heat down and opend the window since the tankis right near it . i thought the higher the better grow rate of bateria but i guess not ...

mommy1
09-10-2010, 04:51 AM
here is a link to some good info on the nitrifying bacteria.

http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

BiGBlak
09-10-2010, 04:59 AM
here is a link to some good info on the nitrifying bacteria.

http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html
nvm the water wast 90 it was 88. do you think i killed any BB off by having it that high for 36 hours ?

mommy1
09-10-2010, 05:01 AM
this is from the link i just gave you

The temperature for optimum growth of nitrifying bacteria is between 77-86 F (25-30 C)

you are probably still ok.

MCHRKiller
09-10-2010, 05:11 AM
Your off to a good start, there are a few things I would change tho. The java ferns should not have their rhizome burried in the substrate...atleast not fully. I would move them to your wood along with the moss...you can use sewing thread or fishing line to attach them to the wood.

Also are your amazons in a pot or something? If so remove them and just let them be in the substrate. Keeping root tabs around them will help them perk up as well...I would also pick up a general plant fertilizer such as Flourish. It wont mess with your water parms at all. With as few plants as you have right now I would only dose once per week. :22:

Edit: I would ditch that airstone as well...its gasing off CO2 which your plants will need for optimal growth.

BiGBlak
09-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Your off to a good start, there are a few things I would change tho. The java ferns should not have their rhizome burried in the substrate...atleast not fully. I would move them to your wood along with the moss...you can use sewing thread or fishing line to attach them to the wood.

Also are your amazons in a pot or something? If so remove them and just let them be in the substrate. Keeping root tabs around them will help them perk up as well...I would also pick up a general plant fertilizer such as Flourish. It wont mess with your water parms at all. With as few plants as you have right now I would only dose once per week. :22:

Edit: I would ditch that airstone as well...its gasing off CO2 which your plants will need for optimal growth.
I have nothing to tie down the plants to the log yetso i have to wait on that. so you say the java fern is too deep in the substrate ? and the swords if i take them oout of the pot and spread them out around the tank they will grow as their own plant ? and i have the flourish you sure it wont messed anything up in the cycling tank ? just want to make sure... thanks . and what other plants do you think would go well with what i got now . And how about that ball ...

MCHRKiller
09-10-2010, 06:31 AM
Yes remove the swords from their pot...and remove as much of the wool as you can and just plant them in the substrate. Yeah pull the ferns up some they dont like their rhizome burried. Flourish wont mess up anything with a cycling tank.

You have medium lighting so you can keep a few stems such as Wisteria, Rotala rotundifolia, Moneywort. Then plants like crypts and anubias will do good in your lighting as well.

BiGBlak
09-10-2010, 07:12 AM
I pulled up the fern a little bit and then i took the sword out of their pot and placed them threw out the back of the tank . there not in the best condition so im not sure if im going to keep them long term but for now they will have to do ..

MCHRKiller
09-10-2010, 07:22 AM
They should recover...you can remove the sickly looking leaves that will help the plant perk up as it wont be trying to save half dead leaves instead it will put out new ones.