PDA

View Full Version : excess bubbles in protein skimmer

miach
09-10-2010, 12:34 AM
I just got a brand new 65g coralife super skimmer for a 36g tank and its been producing an excessive amount of microbubbles in the tank. what should i do? is it broken or some other issue. its been running for 6 hours. do these bubbles effect my fish i have two gold strip maroons but no coral. thanks oh yea one more question do i have to worry about the bubbles getting into the pores of my live rock

sheamurai
09-10-2010, 12:43 AM
lots of microbubbles isn't a good thing.
You should be able to adjust your skimmer so it doesn't foam so much. Open the valve to allow more air in (if yours adjusts like mine). Also, I know when I first put my skimmer together, I had the outlet for the chamber pointed the wrong way, which shot the bubbles up rather than letting them bubble up.

You can check your manual too. I bet there is a "too many bubbles" troubleshooting tip in there.

miach
09-10-2010, 05:12 AM
thanks there wasnt much in the manual except for let the protein skimmer get broken in. I kept playing with the levels and i can only seem to get the foam to come out into the holding cup with excess water so i had to keep syphoning it out. i have a a picture of how its working now its foaming but the foam isnt collecting into the holding cup. i tried adding the pic but it requires an http and i only have it on my computer im new at this and kinda computer retarded sorry. any feedback with some more help would be greatly appreciated. i do have an adjuster to control the flow valve on the intake and a water level adjuster as well. i just cant get it right. the water output is pointed into the "bubble-production diffuser setup" straight down and look like the picture on the box. i can take any pics that can help if i knew how to add them thanks

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-10-2010, 10:41 AM
All skimmers have a break-in period. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. If it is still doing it in 2-3 weeks then you many need to worry about adjusting it.

labnjab
09-10-2010, 11:28 AM
All skimmers have a break-in period. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. If it is still doing it in 2-3 weeks then you many need to worry about adjusting it.

+1. We had a coralife 65 when we started the hobby and the bubbles went away after a week or so

miach
09-13-2010, 01:24 PM
thanks everyone