PDA

View Full Version : 15 gal betta tank / quarantine

Xavier
09-09-2010, 01:19 AM
So, as some people may know, I was planning on getting a 10 gal tank to act as a new home for my poor tortured snails (the ranchus kept attacking them) and as a fully prepared quarantine tank. But, having an empty tank with no fish is boring, and the only fish that could be removed if ever I needed the tank in an emergency is a betta.

I went to the store to compare a few prices and found a few items on sale. I managed to get a waterhome 20 (15 gal) kit for $99 (Can). As it was cheaper than the 10 gal, I figured this would be as good, if not better. Of course, I did not pick up the betta too, since the tank needs to be prepared first.

The kit came with a "Hagen Aquaclear 30 Hang-On Power Filter" which looks okay... I've only ever had an eheim 2213, so this HOB stuff is new. I didn't put in the carbon and opted for a purigen instead.

I put about an inch of gravel from my 32gal. I had extra in my 32gal because I planned a week ahead for the new tank. I hope this transfers some BB. The purigen was also in my eheim, so that should help too. I filled the 15 gal tank with 50% old water from my 32 gal, and 50% new. Treated with prime and stability and a shot of stress zyme.

I transferred my rocks over, 2 shells from dead nerite snails and added a piece of sepia bone. I did this for the 3 horned armor snails which I transferred over very quickly, since they have been a week under the driftwood hiding, and I fear without food. I gave them a piece of an algae wafer... 2 have moved, which is promising, as the last 3 weeks I have seen little to no movement.

The plan now is to get a betta soon. I don't know how cycled the tank is now, and will run the tests tomorrow. There is a fake plant in there for now, but I intend on getting 2-3 real ones.

Any suggestions on what to add for the betta? A type of plant they like, a setup they enjoy? Things to avoid?

Here is a pic of the current setup:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/515/thumbs/DSC03389.jpg (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=19075)

rich311k
09-09-2010, 01:27 AM
They like some plants to hide and lay in. Some moss and java ferns would be nice for him.

Xavier
09-09-2010, 02:59 AM
I'll be going to the good LFS tomorrow or this weekend to pick up plants.

As for the betta, I found a local breeder! Just sent them a message saying I'd like to purchase one of their bettas. How much should I be expected to pay?

rich311k
09-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Anywhere from 5-15 dollars probably.

Xavier
09-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Does the price depend on the breed?

Ashley
09-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Depends on the colouration and size and quality. Could be more, anywhere from $20-$40! I bought some from Montreal, and that was the price range!

Xavier
09-09-2010, 07:04 PM
May I ask where in Montreal? I am trying to contact the breeder I found, but so far no reply.

They have three grades of betta according to the site. A, AA and AAA. Prices are 20-30, 35-45, 50+. I think A will be fine for me, since I don't plan on breeding it.

On a side note, I installed the heater today and got the temperature up to 24C. The snails moved more, which is good, but they aren't eating yet. I would move them closer to the food, but I don't want to disturb them.

Xavier
09-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Update: I'm going to see the breeder tomorrow at 2pm. I'm looking forward to it :D

The snails are doing much better now and are eating and sucking on the sepia bone. I planted the aquarium, added a floating log hiding spot, and completed the cycle by taking some biomax out of my eheim 2213 and put it in the aquaclear 30. Ph is close to 7-7.4. Temperature 24-25C. All other parameters 0.

BridalWreath
09-14-2010, 02:36 AM
Plants are good. ;D They love them. Don't know if you are gonna buy real or fake but if you are buying fake, I would go with silk. Less chance of fin damage.

Also, bettas don't like much water current. If you have a filter with an adjustable water flow, I would see if you minimize the flow of water. Enjoy your betta, which ever one you choose.

Xavier
09-14-2010, 03:27 AM
I wish I could post a pic right now, but he spent all evening adjusting to the tank.

I have real plants, and last I check on him he was resting on one of them near the surface, something the breeder told me he would do given the chance.

As for the current, yeah, I learned that really quickly... When I tried to turn the current back on to normal, the poor little guy got pushed around something fierce. He also had a few bad encounters with the intake, despite the filter being on the low setting. I think he's learned a few lessons today.

I think he has spent his whole life in a small vase, so a 15 gallon planted aquarium equipped with a filter is a big change. With any luck tomorrow he'll show off that tail for my camera and I can snap a good shot for you guys.

BridalWreath
09-14-2010, 04:17 PM
If the intake is too much, the flow will be. I have hard adding an aquarium sponge would help lessen the flow intake. Also, whenever he has settles, you must show us pictures!

Xavier
09-14-2010, 05:09 PM
I'll try again today. When I opened the tank and dropped a pellet, he actually came to eat. Gave him 3 this morning and 3 around noon. Breeder told me to feed him no more than 10 a day, and to feed him twice or more if I want him more active. The second time I fed him he actually moved quite a bit to get fed, meaning that he saw the pellet from across the aquarium, which is good, since last night he didn't see them 2 inches in front of him.

He didn't like the camera flash last I tried, so I'm trying without flash. He doesn't flare his fins very often though, which is when he looks the most awesome... he is blue verging on purple with a light violet on the end of his back fin.

Xavier
09-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Alright, so I needed to clean up his 15gal tank, since he didn't eat some of the food the first day and the wafer I gave the snails was making a mess. I also decided to clean the glass and fix some uneven bits in the gravel. Since I knew he would get in the way and not enjoy me messing about so much, I opted to take him out of the tank. I used a 2L jug I use only for my aquariums, placed it in the water and slowly trapped him against the glass. He went into the jug slowly, and then I just turned the jug up and caught him. He didn't seem to care, LOL.

Since I knew that one day I might need him in a temporary home, I placed him in the vase I plan on using if ever the ranchus need the quarantine tank. I cleaned his tank, changed some water, trimmed the dead leaves off the plants, etc. When I was done I snapped a few shots of him in the vase and then put him back in the tank.

Here are some pics of him. Simply click the thumbnail to make it bigger.
1- Him near one of the plants on the first day.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/511/thumbs/DSC03412.JPG (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=19219)

2- Him swimming around looking for food this morning.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/511/thumbs/DSC03432.JPG (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=19220)

3- Him chilling in the vase this afternoon.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/511/thumbs/DSC03477.JPG (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=19221)

BridalWreath
09-15-2010, 02:53 AM
I am jealous! Such a gorgeous fish.

Xavier
09-15-2010, 03:01 AM
Glad you find him gorgeous :)
He was more active today, moving around the whole aquarium. I think he has figured out that it is his playground, and only his.
If you want one like him, I could send you the information of the local breeder. He is in Canada, but from what I've read, he does sell to the US. Also, most of his sales are long distance, so he ships a lot. He told me he was getting some giant HM betta soon... I don't even know what those are... come to think of it, I didn't ask what colour the one I bought was. LOL!

BridalWreath
09-16-2010, 12:21 AM
My mom would kill me. She was going to kill me when I bought Prince Caspian, my betta. >.>