PDA

View Full Version : Is this lighting Sufficient?

pnphappy
06-18-2007, 02:51 AM
I have a Eclipse Natural Daylight F15T8 18" light over a 20 gallon tank made by Tetra. This light came with the tank. Will this bulb be sufficient in sustaining Anubias and other easy plants that require very low light? By sustaining, I mean enough to allow them to grow and not sitting there looking green for a month and then die off. My hood says it can hold a maximum of 17W, and the light is 17W.

Thanks.

Chrona
06-18-2007, 03:01 AM
I have a Eclipse Natural Daylight F15T8 18" light over a 20 gallon tank made by Tetra. This light came with the tank. Will this bulb be sufficient in sustaining Anubias and other easy plants that require very low light? By sustaining, I mean enough to allow them to grow and not sitting there looking green for a month and then die off. My hood says it can hold a maximum of 17W, and the light is 17W.

Thanks.

The ballast is rated for 17w, but the bulb (as denoted by the F15) is 15 watts, which is the standard for T-8 diameter 18" long fluorescent bulbs. Anubias should be ok, but they are probably going to grow painfully slow. It's pretty hard to kill anubias though, so I doubt it will die off, even under the minimal lighting.

zackish
06-18-2007, 04:55 AM
You should also try plants like Java Moss and Java Fern.

pnphappy
06-18-2007, 01:55 PM
I do not mid if the plants grow painfully slow. I mean, I would get a brighter light, but I am sure I cannot exceed 17W since the hood says 17W on it. If my store has any of those plants, I would definately get them. Thanks.

coachfraley
06-18-2007, 03:51 PM
http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=131

Lights like this one would be a fairly inexpensive upgade, if you wanted to step up a little.

pnphappy
06-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Those do seem like a good choice, but I do not know if I would have to mod my hood or not. I'm not good at wiring and remodeling.