PDA

View Full Version : Do cherry shrimp need a heater?

snail
09-08-2010, 10:22 AM
I know a heater is recomended but is that just so they will breed or will they die without one? I live in portugal so summer temps are high but would I need a heater for them to be happy in winter? I was thinking about setting up a 10 gallon shrimp tank. I have a whole pile of heaters that came with a second hand tank I bought but they are all larger sized and I'd be worried about the danger of cooking a 10 gallon tank rather quickly if any thing went wrong!

korith
09-08-2010, 02:15 PM
They will be fine without a heater in it. Too cold and they just won't be as active or breed. I keep my shrimp tanks at room temperature year round without heaters.

snail
09-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks, I don't mind to buy a heater if I need to but it would only run for half the year so It seems like it might be better to do without one. I've also had heaters that stopped turning off before. In a large tank I use two heaters that are undersized for the tank so I have plenty of time to notice the problem but in such a small tank I'd have cooked shrimp in no time:14:

Sarkazmo
09-08-2010, 05:10 PM
RCS have a WIDE temp range. They can survive in VERY low temps around freezing. They also tolerate up to about 90F pretty well. They do best in the tropical range of 75F-79F though. In a 10G you're going to get a good deal of temperature fluctuations. A small 50W heater should suffice to keep the tank stable. They're very resilient little shrimp but stable temp and chemistry with a FULLY cycled tank will give you the best results. They're very easy to breed as well so you'll probably end up with a ton of them after a few months. :)

Sark