PDA

View Full Version : hardiest killi?

fishmasterflash
09-07-2010, 12:02 AM
I want to try keeping killifish before because they are so beautiful, but I've never kept any before.

What is a good hardy breed to start out with, preferably one that doesnt need a large tank?

thanks

BarbMaster
09-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Ive had golden wonder panchax/killifish the mijier kind and man as long as you have a LID its ok with out a tank LID or HOOD, Dont get one both of mine jumpedout in my sleep. but they are cool they totally jump at food and stuff had one eat a guppie before.

sadadr13
11-04-2010, 12:35 AM
my store got in blue gularis (Fundulopanchax sjoestedti) and they were absolutely beautiful. Previous i had been wanting a clown killie (AKA banded panchax) but theyre a pretty docile fish. so i was talked into the blue gularis. theyre colorful, get to be 4 inches and should have 20 gallons at least, although they have been bred in 5g. i have them with some tetras, just got them yesterday and theyre already courting. can't wait to breed them, $10.00 a fish thumbs2:

UncleWillie
11-04-2010, 12:43 AM
If you really want to try some hardy killies for really cheap (as your first trial), check the ghost shrimp containers at your LFS (if they have them). Although it my not be the best time of year to get them right now, often times ghost shrimp shipments from Florida will contain misc. fish like bluefin killies and seminole killies. I got my first bluefins by buying up all the bluefin killies in the LFS for 30 cents each. They are fun, interesting, and definitely hardy. With you in Maryland, you may get shipments from other areas, but my still contain rainwater killies or something...

Just an idea.