PDA

View Full Version : what fish can i add to betta tank??

ferret8
09-05-2010, 01:34 AM
Right now my male Betta is living in 1.5gallon tank, and so i want to put him in 10gal. He already lives with three snails, but i'd like to put some other FISH in there with him. What kinds could actually get along, I'm not sure if a small school could fit in there, but if yes, can u guys suggest anything? I'm open to all kinds of fish, possibly frog. Btw, could i actually fit some kohli loaches in there?Any advice please, thanks!

HeatherB
09-05-2010, 01:47 AM
Not sure about loaches, but I have kept bettas (sucessfully) with platies, mollies, guppies, ghost shrimp, apple snails, mystery snails, african dwarf frogs and tetras (Do not get red-eye tetra- they tore my betta's fins up!)

When you do get the larger tank- and don't get any fish until you do- add the other fish first. And do it gradually. Bettas do not produce much waste, so if you were going to add 7 other fish, do like, 2 and then another 2 and so on. Give the filter time to catch up!

Whenever I add other fish- I feed my betta well, then remove him, add the other fish. Usually wait about 2 hours (your betta will be fine in just a clean water bowl) and then add the betta. You can also move the decor around a little.

AdrienDeLaChicago
09-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Bettas have such different personalities. It will depend on your betta and your willingness to experiment. I had a betta that used to "dance" with a beautiful dwarf gourami fish and did well together. But I have read stories here of the betta not liking gouramis. In fact I had another betta that did not like gouramis.

Right now I have my 7 bettas in their own tanks with ghost shrimp and lots of plants.

HeatherB
09-06-2010, 06:15 PM
+1 for the gourami. I once had a dwarf gourami and a blue gourami in a tank with a betta. And they worked great. But another forum I was on and told about it almost blew up!

Some times it works, and sometimes it doesn't. You can always try it.

If he doesn't pick pick pick at the snails that is a good sign. I wouldn't put 'expensive' fish with him though. You never know when they may crack and go on a killing spree!

promise
09-06-2010, 07:40 PM
I wouldnt add anything until you have moved him across to a 10 gallon and then the only things i would put in there would be some cory's or neons maybe a BN.

a gourami in a 10 gallon wont work, simply too active and grow far too big to be housed in a tank smaller than 29 gallons unless you want to stunt the fish!!.

Pleco380
09-06-2010, 10:19 PM
I agree with promise that neons or corys might work but I would avoid a BN in a 10 gallon.

rich311k
09-06-2010, 10:25 PM
I think a group of dwarf corys would be your best bet. I would add nothing until he is in a larger tank.

Irish2539
09-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Or instead of corys a little group of kuhli loaches if you prefer loaches...