PDA

View Full Version : Which filter would you choose?

SimplyG
09-04-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm ready to upgrade my Goldfish to a MUCH larger tank.
He's been alone in a 10 gallon for a while now and I am purchasing him a 75gallon tank and will be getting him a friend or two(space permitting).

So would you recommend a Rena FilStar XP3, or XP4?

Also, do you think 3 common goldfish would be to much for a 75 gallon tank?

Thanks all.

gadget228
09-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Can't say when it comes to the filters but 3 common goldfish would do ok in a 75, I would get the biggest filter that you can. Goldfish are beautiful but are huge waste producers.

Cliff
09-04-2010, 09:21 PM
I would choose the XP4.

It has extra media capasity which is always best

I comes with a spray bar so the extra flow should not be a problem

SimplyG
09-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Thank you both.

Do you think I should stick with two goldfish in the 75 gallon?
I know Goldfish get rather large, and are huge waste producers...sadly I don't have a pond for the one I have now...

DrNic
09-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Get the biggest filter you can afford. If you're looking for a cheaper filter I have an Eheim classic canister on my 75G. It works awesome, is dead quiet and cost about half the price of the Rena models.

Fishguy2727
09-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Long-bodied goldfish would do best permanently in a 6' tank like a 125 gallon. I think a 75 is a great step up and would be good for a long time, but they would probably end up our growing it. Also remember that tank size does not have as big of an effect as water change schedule (still important, but an inadequate water change schedule can undo the value of the biggest tank).

Out of the three filters listed I would do the biggest, but I would recommend looking into a Fluval FX5. I have used both and I think the FX5 is definitely worth the extra money (and not much extra money if you wait for a good deal on ebay).