PDA

View Full Version : Regular fertilizer?

Aeonflame
09-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Is it ok to use a solution of regular old NPK fertilizer with a trace element mix in a tank with no fish? The tank was set up as a plant hospital of sorts. It has high lighting, Co2 and is pretty full of plants, albeit still small.

Oskar
09-05-2010, 03:20 AM
It should be fine. Even if you had fish in it,I would not worry. I once had a tank with Miracle Grow potting soil in it,capped with aquarium gravel. I would dose with Miracle Grow fertilizer. Only issue I had was the water was yellow for about a month. The fish were fine,and the plants loved it.

Lady Hobbs
09-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I would not. Many household fertilizers contain phosphates which would give you algae. The only household ferts that I know of that can be used is Jobes plant spikes for "Lush Ferns and Palms" and even those take forever to break down. Even in household plants, you can find hunks of those spikes 6 months later.

Miracle Grow is only 1/2 t. per gallon of water and only used for houseplants a couple times a year. I think it would give you a problem in a fish tank.

Just found this info:

It is not good to use terrestrial plant food in your aquarium. Miracle Gro in particular has a N(nitrogen)-P(phosphate (http://www.fishlore.com/fishdictionary/p.htm#phosphate))-K(potassium) ratio of 24-18-6 Whereas Flourish comprehensive(reputable aquarium fertilizer) has a ratio of 7-.01-37.

Miracle Grow also contains copper.

gm72
09-05-2010, 02:00 PM
I would not. Many household fertilizers contain phosphates which would give you algae. The only household ferts that I know of that can be used is Jobes plant spikes for "Lush Ferns and Palms" and even those take forever to break down. Even in household plants, you can find hunks of those spikes 6 months later.

Miracle Grow is only 1/2 t. per gallon of water and only used for houseplants a couple times a year. I think it would give you a problem in a fish tank.

Just found this info:

It is not good to use terrestrial plant food in your aquarium. Miracle Gro in particular has a N(nitrogen)-P(phosphate (http://www.fishlore.com/fishdictionary/p.htm#phosphate))-K(potassium) ratio of 24-18-6 Whereas Flourish comprehensive(reputable aquarium fertilizer) has a ratio of 7-.01-37.

Miracle Grow also contains copper.

Good call, Lady Hobbs, and I agree.

DrNic
09-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Yeah I agree with Lady Hobbs as well. The ratios of terrestrial and aquatic ferts are VERY different. There are numerous stories of how terrestrial ferts lead to algae growth, then killed the fish in the tank.