PDA

View Full Version : Platy babies!

Mark Lathrop
06-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Today on my wife and my 1st wedding anniversary, our platy had babies. She already had 1 litter of fry (which we confused for cory's due to their spots and color), but this will be her second litter of babies. We must have bought her pregnant because we only have the one platy. It was weird because the other fry came about 3 weeks ago, so she must have been holding these ones for at least 6-7 weeks!! I had just set up my 20g long tank and went to eat the delicious breakfast my wife and I just made and saw 2 2mm fry swimming at the top of the tank. The rest of the fry are only 1-2mm.

What an amazing anniversary gift from our platy!

Sasquatch
06-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Congrats, on the babies and the anniversary.

Three weeks is on the short side for platy gestation, but with high temps and good feeding it can be done.

The thing with platies (and most livebearers I beleive) is that they can store sperm for a long period and use it a little at a time. So if your female got "knocked up" at the pet store she could have as many as 9 pregnancies before her sperm stores are finished.

Keep her well fed, ideally with high protein food, and she should be fine.

Mark Lathrop
06-18-2007, 12:17 AM
she could have as many as 9 pregnancies before her sperm stores are finished.

Ruh-Roh! Lol. That's awesome/crazy. I love the babies...although 2 of the tiniest died this morning. :( We have 5 left though. I quarantined them with the other fry, but the other fry (10 of them) are pretty far along by now, I'm moving the bigger ones into a 10 gallon tonight.

crackatinny
06-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Great timing, congrats on your anniversary and your fry, sorry to hear you lost a couple though.

Mark Lathrop
06-18-2007, 03:37 AM
Thanks! Bigger fry are moved over and little ones are doing good. :)