PDA

View Full Version : Velvet

SkarloeysMom
06-17-2007, 03:32 PM
What treatment do you use for velvet? I've read that changing water, adding aquarium salt and waiting is the best first course of action. Then copper-based meds next but they can be dangerous if you are not careful with dosing.

Anyone have a sure fire cure for velvet? What happens if you need to treat a tank with corys? You can't use salt with corys, right?

Lady Hobbs
06-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Velvet

Cause
Parasitic. Single cell parasite that attacks around open wounds and then spreads to the gills.
Symptoms
Yellow brown or gray looking dusting on the body area. Most noticeably around the Dorsal fin area. Fish are panting and scratching.
Treatment
Any commercially available medication.

SkarloeysMom
06-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks Hobbs but I was actually hoping to hear some experiences with treating velvet. I've read up on velvet but like many things I read about fishkeeping on the net there is a lot of different advise out there.

I went ahead and got some Maricide and I'm going to try the 1,3 and 5th day treatment to see if that help it. I was wondering how long it takes to see some improvement. I'm just hoping that the meds won't hurt my corys.

SkarloeysMom
06-23-2007, 05:07 PM
So nobody's ever treated velvet before?

I finished treating with the Maricide on Thursday I was going to do a big PWC today. The problem is that I still see the gold dust looking stuff on most of my fish in my 10g. I don't know how long I should wait to see the results of this treatment and if I should attempt another round of treatment. I'm worried because I've read that cooper treatments can be hard on the fish.

I guess I'm going to go back to LSF and buy some Coppersafe and try that. Any BTDT advise regarding velvet would be greatly appreciated.

tropfish
06-23-2007, 05:17 PM
is there any way to issolate the fish or is it alread isolated? i'm not sure about the cory thing. i wish i could help more but i've never had to deal with velvet