PDA

View Full Version : javafern sprouting

Australian natives
09-02-2010, 08:51 PM
i was worried about the condition of my java fern, as in the middle it was browning (looks like it is drying out) and i cannot tell if it still is or if it has stopped, nor can i remember if it was that way when i bought it =P. anyway the otherday i noticed very little java ferns growing from the leaves, (started as roots dangling down then little leaves started growing).

and i was wondering, is this a good, bad or neutral sign? does the plant have to be healthy to propagate? or does it do so when it is going to die? or does it just do it regardless? =P

cheers

DrNic
09-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Healthy java ferns will propagate like mad given the right conditions. However it is very common when a leave is dying that new plants will sprout from it. In the wild the plant uses the last energy left in the leave to generate a new plant which will float off and grow somewhere else. If all the leaves are turning brown/black I would try to get the plant more sun or add some ferts to the water. If only a couple leaves are dying I wouldn't worry as that is typical for java ferns as they grow. If you put up a photo I can probably tell more about the condition of the plant.

Australian natives
09-02-2010, 10:25 PM
hmmmm. i cant fin the camera... i guess pics will have to wait until dad is back. it is probably in his boat or car or something.
anyway 6 leaves are browning, they are the ones in the middle. and whether or not the are shriveled form dying or were small to begin with they are much smaller than the leaves still alive.
(there are like 15+ still living.)
thanks for the reply =].