PDA

View Full Version : 7 gallon lighting

Aeonflame
09-01-2010, 08:33 PM
I have a 7- 8 gallon tank lying around that Im thinking of planting. Maybe some nice little rock and driftwood details.. a bit of moss, some java fern.. a nice carpet of dwarf sag.. some moneywort and pennywort for a bit of interest points.

Now, I cant seem to find anything here that would light the tank properly for this.. except one thing.

I just went out and bought a 45 watt screw type spiral cfl bulb that I plan to make a stand and reflector for. This will go over the tank, which will be left open top. The bulb has a color temp of 6500k.

Will this work as well as I hope it will? This would add up technically to about 6.5 watts per gallon, which I know isn't accurate for smaller tanks, but I'm hoping for as close to 3 wpg as I can get.

dragoonwoman
09-01-2010, 08:37 PM
I use screw-in CFL bulbs on my 2 small tanks, and they work just fine.

I found several in "daylight" color, which is about 6500 - 6700 Kelvin. I use a 13 watt bulb on my 6g tank, and my plants are very happy.

A 23 watt bulb would give you very close to the 3 wpg you're looking for.

MCHRKiller
09-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Even though per gallon smaller tanks need more lighting and spiral bulbs need more wattage due to their shape causing a substantial amount of restrike...I would still say this tank will be high light. Normally a tank this size using a PC bulb would require somewhere around 25watts to grow most plants. I would keep the fixture mounted above the tank atleast 3-4" to help disperse the light. You will definatly need some CO2 for this amount of lighting IMO.

Aeonflame
09-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks. I will be using diy co2 on this tank