PDA

View Full Version : Live plants

MCools
09-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Does anyone know how to get plants to root? The store I go to sells mainly cuttings banded together, with no roots. I'm having a problem trying to get them to develop roots, rather than having the bottom portion rot away on me.:scry: I have one grass plant that I think is a type of rhyizome, that is thriving and even has an off shoot thats growing nicely. I'm not sure what exact plants I have, or else I'd list them. Basically what I want to know is this: is there a way to take these cutting and fertalize them to get them to root before I put them in my tank? I don't want to put any more aquatic fertalizer in my tank- I already have too much algae and it doesn't help the rooting issue. Oh, sorry about the bad spelling! Is there a spellcheck on here?

DrNic
09-01-2010, 05:49 PM
There are a few ways to root bunched plants like that. What kind of plant is it?

First take off any rubber bands or string that is holding the plants together. If they are on too tight it can pinch the bottoms and kill any possibility of getting roots on that section of the plant.

For most bunched plants you can usually just push them under the gravel and they will root on their own. I usually make an L shape at the bottom to help keep them down. 90% of the time this should be sufficient to root the plants although without roots the plants are prone to getting pulled out by medium/large fish.

Floating the plants in the tank can also help root them. I always float new plants for at least a day or two before planting them. Floating them close to the light lets the plant build up energy and grow better during the transition to your tank. The only problem with floating is that it can sometimes results in roots growing out of the middle of the plant rather than the bottom.

Another way to root plants is to put them into a clear plastic cup (filled with water) with the area you want the roots to show up at the very bottom and the rest of the plant curled around the top. Put the plant in a VERY bright window or under a strong light for a while and roots should show up.

Hopefully this will help.

MCools
09-01-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure what type of plants they are exactly. One is tall and very frilly, it kind of reminds me of dill. The other is shorter with almond shaped leaves about 3/4 inch long by 1/4 to 3/8 in wide. The best comparison I can think of is basil. I know it's called a red-leafed whatever it is. I know thats probably not the most helpful description. I've tried the L-shaped sticking it under the gravel thing, but so far the stems just seem to rot under the gravel and then float up to the top of the tank. I'll have to try putting some in a glass near the windowsill.

Aeonflame
09-01-2010, 10:00 PM
I've found that stem plants tend to rot at the bottom in lower lighting. The first plant sounds like water wisteria

fiatben
10-09-2010, 04:14 AM
I'm not sure what type of plants they are exactly. One is tall and very frilly, it kind of reminds me of dill. The other is shorter with almond shaped leaves about 3/4 inch long by 1/4 to 3/8 in wide. The best comparison I can think of is basil. I know it's called a red-leafed whatever it is. I know thats probably not the most helpful description. I've tried the L-shaped sticking it under the gravel thing, but so far the stems just seem to rot under the gravel and then float up to the top of the tank. I'll have to try putting some in a glass near the windowsill.

The "dill" sounds like cabomba, which should thrive as a floater or planted. But I understand the frustrations, as I share them.

bushwhacker
11-12-2010, 01:32 AM
aeon flame nailed that one