PDA

View Full Version : It's been a minute :) can anyone help me ID these polyps

The Wedge
09-01-2010, 01:01 AM
Hey guys its been a while...life has been in session and nursing school is quite time consuming. I got some new polyps of some kind in the center of this pick; however, I have no clue what they are so I am uncertain what kind of care to give them.
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm259/wharfrat77/IMG_0268.jpghttp://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm259/wharfrat77/IMG_0270.jpg

sheamurai
09-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Looks like a pulsing xenia to me

The Wedge
09-01-2010, 02:59 AM
nah, they aren't xenia I have a few in the tank elsewhere...can't really tell by the pics but the inside of the polyps have like a thin orange line in them. He said they were on the rare-side of things...but who knows. Wish I had a better camera. He called them daisy polyps...but they aren't daisies. He has an awesome coral selection at the store...He is gonna sell me 2 heads of purple Australian Duncan coral for 20 bucks in a few days.

rageybug
09-01-2010, 03:23 AM
It looks like there are eight arms to the tenticles so I am thinking a Waving Hand (xenia sp.) or Glove Polyp (Clavularia sp.)

The Wedge
09-01-2010, 04:43 AM
yeah I know the brown corals in the back corner are wavy hand supposedly and the polyps in question are definitely some type of clove...think you are right on this :) My aquapod is skimmed very well with the Tunze...hope the water is not to clean for them. Pulsing xenia do not do well in my tank for this reason. I have a bunch of micro-pulsing xenia :P

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-01-2010, 10:17 AM
They could be Clove Polyps, but I'd bet against that. I have polyps that look just like that, I've had them for almost 3 years, and that is Pulsing Xenia.

rageybug
09-01-2010, 04:29 PM
I did not call them CLOVE, I called them GLOVE. The Glove coral is also known as Waving Hand, Pom-Pom and Anthelia. This is a type of Xenia.

rageybug
09-01-2010, 04:32 PM
In all fairness to ILMGB, Clavularia sp. is most often meant to describe Clove polyps, and less often Glove polyps.

The Wedge
09-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Interesting...all the pulsing xenia I have in my tank have a different base and many polys on each stalk...these are just single stalks with a polyp on the end and retract all the way down when disturbed...and they do not pulse like the other pulsing xenia in the tank. And he had another color of the same coral species that had green polyps...I just picked this color due to an overabundance of green in my tank already. But if you say that's what they are...that's what they are...PS I meant Glove :)

The Wedge
09-01-2010, 08:49 PM
thanks for all your help guys...so I should probably get some micro plankton to feed since my water quality is really good/skimmed? How many times a week?

kaybee
09-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Definately Clavularia (aka Clove polyps, aka Glove polyps), and not a type of xeniid in my opinion. The calyces of these clavularia polyps are plainly seen. The calyces are the structures at the base where the polyps coral can retract into.

The common name 'Glove Polyps' is shared and also used to describe anthelia (a type of xeniid), but the coral in the pics lacks the encrusting base mat that anthelia polyps sprout from.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-02-2010, 03:03 AM
I did not call them CLOVE, I called them GLOVE. The Glove coral is also known as Waving Hand, Pom-Pom and Anthelia. This is a type of Xenia.I know full well what you called them, I wasn't replying to your post.

rageybug
09-03-2010, 03:27 AM
I know full well what you called them, I wasn't replying to your post.

Yikes... a little bit sensitive.... again

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Sorry Ragey, it's been a long week, and it was late when I posted that.