PDA

View Full Version : Coldwater catfish?

DrNic
08-31-2010, 02:15 PM
What are the options for coldwater catfish? I have a school of synos in my tank at the moment and although they seem to be doing fine with the lower temp, they are highly nocturnal and only come out at night after the lights are off so I never see them. Are there any larger coldwater catfish (something bigger than a cory) that I might be able to put into my tank?

toddnbecka
08-31-2010, 04:42 PM
The only ones I can think of off suitable for a 75 would be madtoms, and they're nocturnal (like most catfish) too. I presume you have S. nigriventris?

DrNic
08-31-2010, 04:57 PM
The only ones I can think of off suitable for a 75 would be madtoms, and they're nocturnal (like most catfish) too. I presume you have S. nigriventris?
Yeah they are either nigriventris or eupterus. They were all labeled as upsidedowns but clearly two of them are similarly and the third is a different type. They hide so much though I haven't been able to get a decent enough look at them to tell for sure.

toddnbecka
08-31-2010, 05:08 PM
Conversely, if they have plenty of cover available they aren't as likely to hide all the time. Works the same way with most fish for that matter. Given a heavily planted tank or one with loads of hiding places even cichlids and/or schooling fish like tetras are more inclined to be acive and visible.
The substrate and background colors are also factors; most fish feel more secure with a dark substrate.

Red
08-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Dojo loaches would work in a goldfish tank, there great coldwater catfish.

DrNic
08-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Dojo loaches would work in a goldfish tank, there great coldwater catfish.
Yeah I saw those at the store. My wife vetoed them because of their similarity to snakes. ;-) How about standard loaches?

Red
08-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Whats the temp range in the winter?

DrNic
08-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Haven't had the tank running through a winter yet. When I did a smaller cold water tank it held around 70ish. Maybe dipping to 68. The apartment is pretty warm in the winter from our downstairs neighbors who crank up their heat. We typically don't let the heat get below 68 for the most part.

Red
08-31-2010, 08:11 PM
IMO thats to low for regular loaches. I would maybe think of the madtom, but can't think of anything else right now.

DrNic
08-31-2010, 08:16 PM
How do you pronounce that name? Mad-Tom? (i.e. he's not happy Tom?)

Where can you get them? I don't see any on Aquabid or Drs F&S

toddnbecka
09-01-2010, 04:01 AM
They turn up occaisonally on aquabid, and there are several species. All native to North America, depending on where you live you may be able to collect them locally. The smallest is the tadpole madtom, and it's pronounced just the way it looks.

UncleWillie
09-17-2010, 01:07 PM
While they are interesting fish, and do great in cool water, they will not please you any more than your current catfish. In fact, because of their small size you will probably see them less than you are seeing your current catfish. They stay hidden under rocks in excavations for the daylight hours and feed at night. Some folks have seen their madtoms more as the years went on, but most observations have been after lights-out. Very cool fish, but may not meet your standards of wanting to watch them.

DrNic
09-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Yeah that's what I figured. Given the nocturnal nature of the cats I have in the tank now I'm actually trying to find a cave/rock that will give them a good hiding place but gives me a decent angle to look in and see them. I have an artificial log in the tank now that they all hang out in during the day but I can't really see them in there.

I'm not super interested in really 'watching' the fish I just like to keep an eye on everyone to make sure they're healthy/happy.

I miss my old Syno that used to come out and swim around all day long.