PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish Aren't Toys!!!!!!!!!!

troy
06-17-2007, 02:35 AM
I went to the fair today and they had it if you threw a ball into a Betta bowl you
would win a goldfish. They were the size of medium sized feeder goldfish and it cost 2 dollars for ten balls. Then they had little critter keepers for their homes. All it had was a plastic palm tree and some gravel in it and they sold them for $5 each. When someone tell all the stupid people( who sometimes don't
know any better) out there that you can't put a goldfish in a little thing of water. luckily they had the goldfish in a ten gallon instead of in the Betta bowls.
Another incidence happened at Walmart where a lady was going to cram 4 to 6 feeder goldfish in a Betta container until her daughter told her to get a few more
Betta containers. Come one how dumb can you be "The bag of water you're transporting your fish in, is bigger than the container it's going to live in".

Nick_Pavlovski
06-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Some people have no idea about animals.
The biggest fish misconception is that a goldfish is happy in a little bowl - and you see that imagery everywhere: tv, movies; cartoons; ads.

puddlekeeper
06-17-2007, 11:33 AM
those little bowls with the palm tree are old school

To some people they are disposible fish which are expected to die and go to the big toilet in the sky.

So what is worse?
A cramped bowl or being tossed into another tank to be chased down and eaten?

unfortunately; no one was promised a fair life . . . . :14:

troy
06-17-2007, 06:19 PM
They could at least give them 1 gallon fish bowl where they can swim around in when they are and be stunted instead dying after a week or less.

troy
06-17-2007, 06:20 PM
They could at least give them 1 gallon fish bowl where they can swim around in when they are little and be stunted instead dying after a week or less.

Rue
06-18-2007, 01:40 AM
I thought that had been made illegal???

troy
06-18-2007, 02:10 AM
How can their be enough dumb people out their still. I'm almost a teen and don't
see how I could be dumb to put a little goldfish in anything smaller than a 1 gallon fish bowl.

YaYgoldFish
06-18-2007, 02:21 AM
Troy you CANT put a goldfish in a 1g tank.

Specialty
06-18-2007, 03:36 AM
Thankfully we don't sell goldfish if they're to be used as prizes at my job. Had a guy try to come in and buy 600 for a high school "charity" fair, told him no can do, its inhumane and against company policy :9:

modster
06-18-2007, 03:43 AM
Well... what can you do. Not many people keep them as pets anyways. Those fish either die in their super crowded (and probably full of diseases) tank at the pet store or end up being some oscar's dinner.

Rue
06-18-2007, 04:12 AM
What can you do? You can make it illegal if it already isn't.

cocoa_pleco
06-18-2007, 04:15 AM
i even have to admit i screwed up with goldfish.

When i bought my first used 10g, it was a disaster. i had NO idea what the aquaclear was, and thought you were supposed to stick the airpump in it and submerge the whole thing. (REALLY WRONG!) next, i figured out what the airpump was for, and didnt know you were supposed to stick tubing and a airstone to it, and almost submerged the whole thing. and the worst mistake was when i was figuring this all out i bought 3 goldfish in the process the first day. one actually lived for a good while when i didnt even know that cycling existed. i later bought a 33g and put the one living goldfish in it, my celestial, and a year later found his pale white corpse under a decoration and puked from the gross smell.

Ive seen my petsmart now has signs that goldfish CANT have goldfish bowls, and need at least 10g each. not the best, but better than bowls.

One question, why do they STILL even sell goldfish bowls at petsmart then?

Rue
06-18-2007, 04:28 AM
...for bettas I imagine...

...and don't forget...Petsmart is a business first...if people buy goldfish bowls...they will sell goldfish bowls...

...mind you, some make great candy dishes...

cocoa_pleco
06-18-2007, 04:38 AM

lol, right, after the goldfish previously in it dies from ammonia poisoning and/or oxygen depletion

troy
06-18-2007, 05:12 AM
What I meant was when people win goldfish at a fair they will usually not get anything bigger than a fish bowl for it.

nanaglen2001
06-18-2007, 06:15 AM
The main problem is inside most peoples heads!!!!!

A fish isnt cuddly, one normaly cant hug it, or carry it around. It wont miaouw or bark, wont give a paw, or lick thru your face or wag with its tail cause its happy to see you. It cant scratch, growl or bite you, if it has enough of you.

It cant show you if it feels miserably, and normaly a fish isnt expensive.

So lots of people just think...its only a fish, nothing "precious", nothing with a personality, just a swimming decoration. So what the heck if it dies, its easyly replaceable.

First and hardest thing is to change the attitudes towards fish, then very quickly you wont see any goldfish bowls any more, and fish wont be sold at fairs.

Willyleigh
06-18-2007, 01:50 PM

Too right, at my work we had a sale and we put lots of sweets and chocolates in 'goldfish' bowls for the children, but refused to sell them, we have loads of different ones but we tell everyone that we have none as they are inhumane.

nanaglen2001
06-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Fish bowls are even great if you just want to keep aquatic plants, without fish.

It really looks cool, with one Nymphaea lotus or similar plants.

troy
06-18-2007, 08:16 PM
If you're lucky, your fish will greet you, like my crystal darter usually does. Why don't they mass breed bettas, so they can have them replace goldfish at the fair .

Rue
06-18-2007, 08:27 PM
They do mass breed bettas...

...I think we'd prefer it if NO live animals were given as prizes, since most of those are unwanted and die...

YaYgoldFish
06-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Who wouldn't want to win a dog or cat?

troy
06-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Maybe if they have mosquito fish as the prize because they are very hardy, no will want them. They could also teach kids in kindergarten that goldfish can't live
in fish bowls. I still don't see how bettas are happy in betta bowls.

modster
06-19-2007, 02:33 AM
They should give out piranhas as prizes. People will learn their lessons the hard way. :wink2:

Anyways, going back to what i was saying, so what if they stop using feeder fish as prizes. They will have a painful death either way. It's not like the pet store has 10 gallon of water for each of them. Most people buy them to feed other fish anyways. Actually, I got my comet as a prize too. Yes, I kept it in a bowl less than a gallon for about two months. But after some research, I moved it to a 10 gallon.

bscman
06-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Who wouldn't want to win a dog or cat?

I wouldn't!!!
Even when free, they require a LOT more maintenance, a LOT more devotion, and a LOT more $$$.
Cats are just fur shedding little furniture destroyers. And dogs are just smelly little floor scratchers. My fish keep the house clean :thumb:

LOL

Enough joking...
You're right about the media sending false messages about gold fish. I've come to pay close attention to fish tanks in movies, and in the last few movies I've seen...there have been SEVERAL instances of over-crowded goldfish tanks, or tanks that are TOO small with no filters or air pumps.

It often makes me wonder how many fish they go through during shooting...

Last fall I spent almost $20 trying to win one of those darn goldfish at the fair... I felt bad for them and wanted to "rescue" one! Too bad the game was RIGGED!
SHINANNIGANS I SAY!!!

Drumachine09
06-19-2007, 07:21 PM
If you're lucky, your fish will greet you, like my crystal darter usually does. Why don't they mass breed bettas, so they can have them replace goldfish at the fair .

That would do absoloutly NOTHING. They would STILL be kept in poor conditions. So youre just saying, replace a problem with a problem?

troy
06-19-2007, 08:49 PM
If they have bettas as a prize at the fair they could have betta water and .5 gallon or larger goldfish bowls replacing the small containers they use for goldfish.

Drumachine09
06-19-2007, 08:53 PM
If they have bettas as a prize at the fair they could have betta water and .5 gallon or larger goldfish bowls replacing the small containers they use for goldfish.

Like i said, replacing a problem with a problem.

Bettas are just as mistreated, if not more mistreated then goldfish. Heres an equation for you:

Small bowl-filter+fish=unhappy (or soon to be dead) fish

troy
06-19-2007, 10:18 PM
I feel sorry for bettas too, but I've never read you shouldn't keep them in betta bowls.

YaYgoldFish
06-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Thats just because they dont get big. Could you live in your room forever? yes. Happy? no.

cocoa_pleco
06-19-2007, 10:59 PM
its like you living in a standard size living room all your life with a TV with 5 channels and food. would you survive-yes. happy- no

Nick_Pavlovski
06-20-2007, 11:15 PM
A plushie/soft toy is really a better prize.
Less stress for the parents too.