PDA

View Full Version : Plant subtrate Help

CrazedMichael
08-31-2010, 06:14 AM
Hi Guys,

Im an expat living in dubai, and although there are a couple of good LFS here, none of them have anything good, plant wise.

I'm looking for some substrate for plants, such as Eco-complete or something but no-one provides it.

So i was thinking, what about soil? such as potting soil? would this work? Like a 1inch layer along the bottom, and then 1-2 inches of chosen gravel on top?

Is this aquarium safe and how would one set this method up?

Cliff
08-31-2010, 06:17 AM
Sand would work better then dirt IMO

There is a lot of compounds in dirt that could add ammoina to your water.

Jacko
08-31-2010, 06:23 AM
I think your thought is along the lines of the MTS idea... here's a great link to follow :22:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/library/52554-how-mineralized-soil-substrate-aaron-talbot.html

Been meaning to give it a try, alot of local hobbyists are currently doing it and all their reveiws are amazing... One guys growing some rarer plants wonderously in an MTS tank... problem I have is that I gave them to him cuz I was having issues keeping them alive in my tank with high light, DIY co2 and flourite

CrazedMichael
08-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the link, thats certainly interesting! I've just mailed a bounch of suppliers of the materials needed to prepare this mix and hope to hear from them.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/library/52554-how-mineralized-soil-substrate-aaron-talbot.html

When using JUST the topsoil, I understand there's a major algae bloom and possible outbreaks of ammonia.
How about if i followed steps 1 & 2 and repeated 3 times (or more if needed, to remove fertilisers etc) and just added that underneath the substrate of choice?
I'm assuming that the Dolomite, KCI and clay is there to provide the minerals, since topsoil has a limit supply.

So i was wondering what your thoughts are on just doing steps 1 & 2?

check the link above in case you missed it