PDA

View Full Version : How to slow filter for Betta Tank

Bretzz
08-30-2010, 07:52 PM
I have a 10 gallon tank separated by separators.. It has a HOB power filter.

I want to know how I can significantly reduce the flow of the water for bettas, I was thinking of putting a sponge around the intake, how can I go about doing this?

There is one section where the filter is, The betta is going to have fun because the intake and outflow are in that section. If I cover the intake with a sponge, will it be fine?

I think the other sections should be fine, because the separators reduce flow a lot, I can barely see plants moving.

smaug
08-30-2010, 10:26 PM
decreasing its intake runs the risk of stopping flow altogether and having pump failure..The way I did it was to take some sort of open cell foam in a sheet wide enough to go across the outlet chute of your hob.Use some sort of plastic tie or large rubber band to fasten theis sheet in the path of the outgoing water thus breaking up the current.

Sarkazmo
08-31-2010, 05:39 AM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=44359&highlight=Diffuser

I'm still running a 100 gph filter on a 1.5 Gallon tank with a single betta and he can float motionless in most of the tank.

Sark

Michael Milligan
08-31-2010, 09:15 AM
Lots of plants.

Bretzz
08-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks Sarkazmo, I think I'll try that idea