PDA

View Full Version : questions about care for sps corals

Reefkeeper18
08-30-2010, 03:50 PM
if i would like to keep a couple red candy cap corals, purple rim montipora confusa,green apple cap coral, bubble tip anemones, and pink birdsnest corals in my sps reef tank what kind of equipment and care would they require. ex. watts for lights etc. and do you have any suggestions for other sps corals i should add onto my future shopping list.

harpua2002
08-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Montis and birdsnest are fairly easy as far as sps corals go. Your specific lighting choices are going to depend on the size of your tank, but I'd suggest going with T5 HO or MH. What size tank is this?

Reefkeeper18
08-30-2010, 05:02 PM
its probably going to be a 250 gallon tank

harpua2002
08-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Wow, lucky you! In the meantime, I'd suggest doing some more research on what corals appeal to you. It will make it easier later on when you're getting equipment for your tank. When you can get back to us with your tank dimensions, I'm sure we can help with lighting choices and what not.

Reefkeeper18
08-30-2010, 05:21 PM
k thx just trying to do a lot of research b4 i actually buy anything. Would hate to see any corals or fish to die bcuz of my stupidity

harpua2002
08-30-2010, 06:14 PM
At least you are really trying to learn before you put anything in your tank! You're going to make mistakes, that's the way it goes when you are a beginner, but you are doing the right thing by taking your time. Keeping corals really isn't that difficult, you just need to take it really slow and wait until the tank is ready. Rushing into purchases is where about 90% of beginners go wrong IMO. Keep up the good work!