PDA

View Full Version : My male and female RES.

YaYgoldFish
06-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Heres my 2 little turtles. I've had them since february 28th, 07. No clue on how old they are. Only thing i knnow about them is their sex and that they eat loads. Plus all the caring information..Here they are :)

The man of the tank :c9:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4za4gae

His chick :c7:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4mwum2w

Male eating.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4t8y0z6

Drumachine09
06-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Cool!

On the way back from fishing the otherday, me and my neighbor rescued two RES of the highway. One is a small male, and the other one is a REALLY pregnant female. I think hes going to keep them in a spare 55 reptile tank.

sergo
06-16-2007, 11:37 PM
hey cool! i've got a real tiny guy. it's about the size of a half dollar and we call it "sprinter" because it was found zipping across the parking lot at my wife's work.

YaYgoldFish
06-17-2007, 12:29 AM
man everyone finds these guys! A bunch of my freinds and their relatives. Too bad i didnt find one...i paid 30 bucks a turtle! but it sure is worth it.

sergo
06-17-2007, 12:44 AM
wow you paid $30. dang man, i'm sorry you couldn't just find one zipping across the parking lot like we did. ours is still real skittish, hopefully it'll warm up to us and let us hand feed it like yours.

YaYgoldFish
06-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Yeah i bought the female when she was less than an inch in diameter and the male was about 1 or 1 and a half. I ALWAYS hand fed them, mostly for the fun of it. Problem is, their growing a tooth in the middle of their mouth, and they snap pretty hard. Once a while i get bitten and it can hurt, so when they look too hungry i just put in some pellets. The first month i had them, i had no clue about how much i was suppose to feed. That and the fact that they grow big and fast is the only bad hing about these guys. Oh and they killed and ate any tankmates ive ever tryed. Including a comet, oscar, and feeder guppies. If i hold the male and have him faces the female, he will try to eat her head. This morning i did it and it scared me to death. I would of sworn he was guna eat her head off if i put him back into the tank. If i could go back and not go buy the second one i probably would tho. Having one is just plain better.

YaYgoldFish
06-17-2007, 12:57 AM
By the way, where does your wife work? Is it near an ocean or something like that?

sergo
06-17-2007, 01:03 AM
no she works on a busy industrial boulevard with a lot of big trucks. there is a creek/drainage area near her work but i have no clue where this little guy came from an how he didn't get squished. i must say that mine seems to be totally opposite of yours and i don't think he's grown too much since we found him a couple of months ago. interesting.

troy
06-17-2007, 06:14 PM
What does Res stand for and why are we talking about turtles on an aquarium forum?

Drumachine09
06-17-2007, 08:13 PM
What does Res stand for and why are we talking about turtles on an aquarium forum?

Red Eared Slider.

RES go in aquariums too. And since this is an aquarium forum, there is nothing wrong with it.

genitor
06-18-2007, 12:30 AM
why are we talking about turtles on an aquarium forum?
lol, this just sounds funny

genitor
06-18-2007, 12:30 AM
love your setup P.
Did you build it or was it bought?

YaYgoldFish
06-18-2007, 01:11 AM
Troy were in the other species part of the thread. Turtles live in water. Get your facts straight..

Genitor: Thanks, I built it with a sheet of plexiglass.

genitor
06-18-2007, 03:15 AM
T
Genitor: Thanks, I built it with a sheet of plexiglass.

Cool, I might steal your idea when i get my turtle tank.

YaYgoldFish
07-07-2007, 09:56 PM
I got the idea from this guy's setup..its truly insane!

http://pets.webshots.com/album/62251635srKSiK

Drumachine09
07-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Thats a REALLY awesome idea! Makes me want to get back into turtles again.

Did you use a torch to heat and bend the plexi, or did the routed bit out of the center make it bend without breaking?

RobbieG
07-08-2007, 02:58 AM
That a nice setup - after I get the 55 gallon for my bedroom and changeover that 30 gallon tank to salt I want to do something like that with the 10 gallon I'm going to be replacing with the 30 gallon - only with crabs instead of turtles.

Man I've gone from fishkeeping to creating SAT word problems

YaYgoldFish
07-08-2007, 03:59 AM
lol, what kind of crabs are you thinking about? I have had king and rainbow crabs..they both sucked. They killed a few fish then they killed each other..

RobbieG
07-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Fiddler crabs - like this little guy

YaYgoldFish
07-08-2007, 03:14 PM
ive never tried em..but they look nice.i remember once with my bigger king crab, he crawled on a plant, on to the filter net, into the filter, and on the counter he went. Thank god i was there tho lol. He was running straight for the electrical plugs too!

RobbieG
07-08-2007, 04:00 PM
These are master escape artists too!