PDA

View Full Version : what else can plecos eat?

Jeremy
08-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Hi guys

I asked a question in the goldfish section on different foods they can have besides flakes but was wondering can my pleco have something different to treat on? and I guess it would have to be something that is okay to be in the tank with the goldfish

Thanks for any help guys thumbs2:

Jeremy

rich311k
08-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Cucumbers, zuchinini, peas, green leafy vegetables, They will enjoy all of them as will the goldfish.

Cliff
08-30-2010, 12:33 AM
I feed my plecos Cucumbers, zuchinini, and water melon. They just love their veggies. Should be a problem for your goldfish. My other fish in the tank will nibble it that as well.

bob saget
08-30-2010, 01:11 AM
Cucumbers and zuchinini are best for mine. i keep it in overnight, and remove the leftover rind first thing in the morning.

FinalJenemba
08-30-2010, 06:03 AM
My big Bristlenose plec will eat literally anything thats on the bottom of the tank. This includes the shrimp pellets i give the loaches... No idea why, but he loves those shrimp pellets.

Jeremy
08-30-2010, 06:50 PM
about the cucumber, how do you put it in the tank? doesn't it just float?

FinalJenemba
08-30-2010, 06:56 PM

Either weight it down, hold it with a clip, or blanch it.

R2 Ranch
08-30-2010, 08:45 PM

You can slice it and place it on a fork and it will sink to the bottom. Your pleco will love it. Might take a few time before he/she begins to nibble on it. Good Luck!!!!

Daz
08-30-2010, 08:57 PM
I feed mine Zucchini (courgette) and use the strips of lead that come with plants to weigh it down. My Red tail black shark loves it too.

Leave it in overnight and remove whats left in the morning.

Alasse
08-31-2010, 12:59 AM
Mine get zucchini, pumpkin & the occassional bean

bob saget
09-04-2010, 05:07 AM
i just tie mine to a rock, but many people weigh them down with kitchen utensils.

Cliff
09-04-2010, 05:15 AM
I feed my plecos Cucumbers, zuchinini, and water melon. They just love their veggies. Should be a problem for your goldfish. My other fish in the tank will nibble it that as well.

Talk about typos, I meant to say this should NOT be a problem for your goldfish.

I'm sorry but english is not my first language and I struggle with written communications at times

AndorranPrince
09-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Mine eats zuccini at the surface LOL. If you've also got goldies then shelled peas make great, healthy snacks for both of them.

FishyPastor
09-10-2010, 11:41 PM
I feed mine cucumber I have goldies in my tank as well I put the cuccumber in and all 3 of my plecos and my goldfish push and shove each other to get to it. Petsmart/Petco sell clips with suction cups on the back to stick it on the inside glass. Thats what I use.

Trillianne
09-11-2010, 12:43 AM
My plecos are small and aren't super into veggies at the moment so I take my cucumber and zucchinis when I buy one and slice it up into a good fish eating size pieces and keep them in my freezer.

When I want to add one to the tank I just defrost for a minute or less.