PDA

View Full Version : Which larger Shrimp for Betta tank?

Gisela
08-29-2010, 02:31 PM
After my new feisty HMPK male Betta ate my Amano Shrimp (he lived in there with my former Crowntail) I would like to know if I could put in a larger Shrimp. Saw some the other day at Petco. They are called Bamboo Shrimp and are pretty big in size. Are they a danger for the Betta or the other way around?

HN1
08-29-2010, 02:36 PM
The main problem IMO is that the bamboo shrimp are filter feeders and seem to starve slowly in non-established or small tanks. How large was the amano? I've seen some that are all of 3" and I've had them in with apistos and angels.

Gisela
08-29-2010, 02:52 PM
He was a little over an inch, had him probably for a month with my old Betta. The tank is a well established 5 gallon I have since 1 1/2 years. Recently tested the water after the death of my Betta. I wanted to get twom more of the Amano, but I bought the last one at my LFS. But now I don't think I want to try Amano again with that Betta. If the Bamboo Shrimp are filter feeders, would it be an idea to put Hikari fry food in it?

HN1
08-29-2010, 04:26 PM
There's actually a pretty good article here. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/shrimp/bamboo.php

Though the article says they will feed on wafers. In a small tank with a betta, I think it would starve or if you fed enough for suspension that your parameters would take a bump and it would die. JMO though. Hopefully others will chime in with opinions.

korith
08-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Bamboo shrimp do better in a tank with good current flow. Hmm how about a dozen or two ghost shrimp. They sell for $1-2 for a dozen at some fish stores like pet supermarket. Sometimes sold as feeder shrimp. They are about an inch long. I had some with a betta for months and they lived peacefully, then one weekend he took them all out. Tried it again with another betta and it worked out well, the only shrimp I lost were because of 'natural causes' I think.

Gisela
08-29-2010, 05:50 PM
I had two Bettas before this one, first a female Veiltail, after that a male Crowntail. They never bothered anything. With the Female I had small corys until I moved them in a bigger tank, than Mysterysnails. I just don't want to put another Shrimp in the Lions Den, which can't stand up against this Betta. He is a HMPK, don't know if they are generally more feisty.

korith
08-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Oh another reason I mentioned ghost shrimp is due to the cheap cost of them, $1-2 for a dozen, if it works great. If not and the betta takes one out, it'll get a tasty treat. No huge loss moneywise.

dnphillips08
08-29-2010, 07:34 PM
I have ghost shrimp with one of my Bettas as well and they've been great. I haven't lost one yet *knock on wood* I agree with korith they're cool shrimp and cheap so a loss isn't a big hit