PDA

View Full Version : Potting to prevent pulling?

DrNic
08-29-2010, 04:10 AM
My comets have gotten into the habit of pulling up my plants as they comb through the gravel in the tank. I'm wondering if putting the plants in small terracotta pots would help keep the fish from pulling them out? Any thoughts?

gm72
08-29-2010, 04:44 AM
Probably would help but the plants shouldn't be doing so well in the cold water environment that would be best suited for comets.

DrNic
08-29-2010, 02:47 PM
I've grown java ferns in cold waters without too much difficulty. Although it's cold water, the tank stays around 70-72 (house temp) so it's not ever really super cold. I'm trying to find some hearty lillies to add in. Are there any other cold water plants that you would suggest?

Dave66
08-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Most of the temperate plants like some of the Myrophillium grow into beautiful scrolls, but given the vegetative needs of goldfish, they'd tear them apart, potted or not.
There's whole lists of temperate water lilies. You'd just need a cover for your tank, if you don't have one, to maintain air humidity, and more light of the proper intensity and spectrum with the lilies. They can be easily potted, and the stems and leaves are tough and distasteful enough the goldfish won't mess with them.

Dave

korith
08-29-2010, 04:27 PM
I know people will pot plants for cichlid tanks, because sand sifters will root the plants out. Not sure how well it would work on fish actually pulling at the plants. Do you have any plants floating in the tank like frogbit or duckweed? Maybe if you can keep them interested in those plants to forage on, they might leave the other ones in the tank rooted.

Michael Milligan
08-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Perhaps planting the plants in the substrate and them piling rocks at their base?