PDA

View Full Version : Mudskippers

lilshirou
08-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Hey guys i was wondering if you knew anything about this fish. i need to know the environmental requirements and what they eat. i heard that they need brackish water but the store that i bought them in said they were in freshwater so i'm not sure what i should get.

AndorranPrince
08-29-2010, 03:48 AM
if they're in fresh, they won't last long. They need a very specialized tank, optimally 40g, with sand that rises like a beach on one side with water and on the other, decor scattered. Feed crickets or pellets, and keep in brackish.

lilshirou
08-29-2010, 05:44 AM
also umm i have this wood i bought i soaked in hot water but it turns the water brown all the time so i don't know if its supposed to do that so do u know?

troy
08-29-2010, 04:22 PM
The wood is releasing tannins. It's normal.

harpua2002
08-31-2010, 12:05 AM
I would strongly recommend purchasing a bag or bucket of marine salt (aquarium salt won't cut it for a brackish tank), as well as a hydrometer or, preferably, a refractometer. I've never kept mudskippers myself, but a quick Google search should turn up their target specific gravity. You'll need the marine salt and the hydrometer/refractometer to make that happen.