PDA

View Full Version : New trio of L-199

R2 Ranch
08-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Just received my group of zebra plecos!!! Very nice and healthy. I did my research before I made the decision to purchase them. But I am getting conflicting results on their preferred menu.....

Please sure your food suggestions with me. thumbs2:

Thank so much for your positive assistance:fish2:

HN1
08-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Very nice fish!

We feed our fancies NLS sinking, krill, frozen bloodworms and mysis, and veggies. Probably 80% of the diet is meaty. None breeding yet, but we've got a trio of L270s that we're hopeful with. Good luck with yours!

R2 Ranch
08-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Very nice fish!

We feed our fancies NLS sinking, krill, frozen bloodworms and mysis, and veggies. Probably 80% of the diet is meaty. None breeding yet, but we've got a trio of L270s that we're hopeful with. Good luck with yours!

Thank you for your positive advise!!! Also Good luck with your L270's. Very nice looking plecos!!!thumbs2:

Gisela
08-27-2010, 08:15 PM
My Plecos go nuts over Nutrafin Max sinking food tablets, I also give Omega one Veggie Rounds, beside that they like fresh zucchini, romain lettuce and than the frozen or freeze dried bloodworms, shrimppellets.

toddnbecka
08-28-2010, 03:40 AM
NLS pellets are good for a staple diet, occaisonally some frozen bloodworms and fresh or canned veggies for variety.

Cliff
08-28-2010, 03:47 AM
I would love to see some pics !!!

R2 Ranch
08-29-2010, 07:04 PM
I would love to see some pics !!!

Not great quality.... Sorry:11:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h140/Jasminekinderone/Fish/ZebraPlecos003.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h140/Jasminekinderone/Fish/DSC_6841.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h140/Jasminekinderone/Fish/DSC_6840.jpg

rich311k
08-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Very nice, good luck with them.

Cliff
08-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Nice looking pleco

snail
08-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Are these zebra plecos as in Hypancistrus zebra? The one I saw a few years back (when you still got wild caught ones) was much bolder black and white but maybe it's just stress because they are being moved? Just interested.

R2 Ranch
08-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Are these zebra plecos as in Hypancistrus zebra? The one I saw a few years back (when you still got wild caught ones) was much bolder black and white but maybe it's just stress because they are being moved? Just interested.

These are L 199's they are marked really different from the L-046's. I will be getting some of them in the next month. My L 199's are wild caught. I didn't want tank raised. Thanks for asking.

toddnbecka
08-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Why didn't you want tank raised? I actually prefer them over wild caught despite the fact it takes longer for them to grow out to breeding size. Wild caught fish have to be treated for parasites (usually done before you get them, but not always) and are generally more difficult to acclimate. Some never do, and the percentage of losses weeks or even months later is noticeably higher. I had a group of L-129 a couple years ago, and then picked up a couple more from another source. Aven after being QT'd for a month the new ones brought along something that wiped out the whole group. The only survivor was one male that had been moved to another tank before the new arrivals.
Tank raised fish have most likely never been exposed to parasites, adjust to different water and diet more easily, and supporting captive breeding doesn't remove any more from their natural habitat.

R2 Ranch
08-31-2010, 05:13 PM
Why didn't you want tank raised? I actually prefer them over wild caught despite the fact it takes longer for them to grow out to breeding size. Wild caught fish have to be treated for parasites (usually done before you get them, but not always) and are generally more difficult to acclimate. Some never do, and the percentage of losses weeks or even months later is noticeably higher. I had a group of L-129 a couple years ago, and then picked up a couple more from another source. Aven after being QT'd for a month the new ones brought along something that wiped out the whole group. The only survivor was one male that had been moved to another tank before the new arrivals.
Tank raised fish have most likely never been exposed to parasites, adjust to different water and diet more easily, and supporting captive breeding doesn't remove any more from their natural habitat.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

snail
08-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Ah, yes, I think what I would call a zebra pleco is the L-046. I think they are protected and can no longer be wild caught? There are captive bred ones now but not widly available, and expensive!

You have some lovely fish there. Hope they do well.

R2 Ranch
08-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Ah, yes, I think what I would call a zebra pleco is the L-046. I think they are protected and can no longer be wild caught? There are captive bred ones now but not widly available, and expensive!

You have some lovely fish there. Hope they do well.

I am looking at a trio of L 046. Having to save up my cash for a few weeks and then I'll have them shipped.

Thanks for your kindness.

toddnbecka
09-01-2010, 04:43 AM
I'd have to save for more than a few weeks for a trio of those. There is one seller that lists them as wild-caught on aquabid and several of the pleco forums occaisonally, best price I've seen on them in years. Considering that they're planning to build a dam and destroy their natural habitat I don't object so much to buying wild-caught fish.
Beautiful pleco's, but I can't see putting out that much $$ for something I'd only see when cleaning the tank. Pretty much any of the Hypancistrus are the same way, if you give them a well-furnished tank they stay under cover all day long.
Are you planning to breed them? I'm still working on the leopard frogs (L-134) and L-333's before I tackle the L-046 challenge. My fire red BN juvies are doing well enough, and I recently saved a clutch of the oddball Ancistrus eggs from the 75 with the African cichlids that have eaten the last several spawns. Those fry are less than a couple weeks old, still tiny buggers.

snail
09-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Beautiful pleco's, but I can't see putting out that much $$ for something I'd only see when cleaning the tank. Pretty much any of the Hypancistrus are the same way, if you give them a well-furnished tank they stay under cover all day long.

Yea, I saw one a few years back for like 50 euros and thought that was a lot! As you say, for a fish you never see! But every one has their thing. When you do see them they are stunning fish though. I thought they couldn't sell wild caught ones any more. Maybe that changed.

R2 Ranch
09-01-2010, 01:34 PM
I have 4 L-204 and it took them several months to stay visible. As for the price of L-046's it looks like I'll be spending 250.00 each. Like I said, it will be in a few weeks (were redoing our floors and moving tanks often) once everything gets settled and back to normal I will start my aggressive hunt for them. Good Luck on your breeding program.