PDA

View Full Version : I got problems

BettaLovin
08-27-2010, 05:13 PM
ok i started this topic in bettafish-ich.

i have a tank i have lost alot of fish because i didnt know about cycling.
i have a money issue and this tank and species were a gift. so i am puliing together what i need.

ive lost almost all my fish but my betta and cory.

ive discovered today they have ich. i just went and bought the products i think, that i need to supposedly cure this.

i need to know if i should treat the whole tank, and betta and cory all together with the ich treatment?

should i take the ornaments out before i treat or leave them in with treatment?

can i use aquraium salt with the treatment?

should i use a "start-right" solution with the treatment when i have to do water changes?

all kinds of questions here.

see my post at the afformentioned thread.it has video of my tank and surviving fish.

taralm13
08-27-2010, 05:27 PM
I think you should return the stuff you bought and just use salt and heat. I think I just had ich and all I used was table salt that cost 52 cents. I cannot see any more ich. I found the directions here... http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169765

I had like 3 spots on one of my fish and the spots went away and no other fish seem to have been affected. I used 2 teaspoons per gallon (I have a 20 gallon so I used 40 teaspoons of regular table salt). Maybe some other people with more experience than me can help too but this is what I did. Good luck to you :)

BettaLovin
08-27-2010, 07:55 PM
thanks you for the advice.

Lab_Rat
08-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Cories are sensitive to salt, I would not recommend salt with them. Table salt is often iodized, if that is the case with your product then I would not use it. You are better off going with ick meds that are made for sensitive species and following the directions on the box. If the frog noted in your sig is still alive then make sure the med is safe for it as well.

BettaLovin
08-28-2010, 02:40 AM
ok so after being filled with advice, this is what i have done.

a 75% water change.upped the temperature throughout the day to 82f
added 1 1/2 teaspoon aq. salt. added an extra air pump and bubbler to the aq. and removed carbon filter right before q.c.

after 2 hours i added 9 drops quick cure.

the betta saw instant relief i could tell by his demeanor.
he started to "play' and eat.the cory is not happy but still coping, eating.

now that it has been several hours the betta is going nuts scratching her fleas.im afraid i will wake up in the am to dead fish.

can , should i do a water change tomorrow?
how much?

should i use the q.c. again or wait til 3 days from now like i have been directed.?

aaahhhh! im pulling my hair out and have aheadache from this but alli can think about is my poor little betta and her "fleas"

rich311k
08-28-2010, 02:46 AM
You need to do the meds or the salt not both. The fish are under enough stress already no need to add more. You could do water change evry day if you wish.

BettaLovin
08-28-2010, 03:20 AM
http://www.thekrib.com/Diseases/ich.html

this guy says you can do both, so i did.
if i do a daily water change, how much?

Lab_Rat
08-28-2010, 05:11 AM
I don't agree with that guy saying salt and meds together. That's a good way to kill your fish. I'd do one or the other, and as I said before, I would not use salt with cories. Water quality is paramount for your fish to heal. I'd change 50% daily, making sure you match temps and dechlorinate.

BettaLovin
08-29-2010, 05:57 AM
oka. thank you for the advice.i did a 50% today , no meds.fish seem to be doing well enough.

BettaLovin
08-30-2010, 02:08 PM
good news.betta baby is doing well. so is corycat.today is treatment day, i hate using that q.c. but im going to do this method to reassure myself that we wont get the "fleas ' again.

thanks for the advice guys.

Lab_Rat
08-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Glad to hear they're doing better.

BettaLovin
08-31-2010, 02:06 PM
well there are no "salt" flakes on the betta.and the other day they were real playful.going to continue q.c. for another10 days.

gotta a ? though.

what do you guys think of emptying the aq. completely after the treatment is over?

Lab_Rat
08-31-2010, 10:25 PM
After you're done treating, do a very thorough gravel vac to get all the nasties out. You'll want to treat for a couple weeks after you've seen the last spot as the medicine only works at a certain part of the ich life cycle. If you stop treatment too early you will get a reinfestation.

BettaLovin
09-01-2010, 12:08 AM
im aware tha i have to do this treatment for atleast 14 days. im on day 4 now.

do you think i should continue it longer , maybe 21 days?

Time-Out
09-01-2010, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't bother doing it for that much longer, it'll only stress the fish. 14 days is plenty.

BettaLovin
09-03-2010, 02:44 AM
sounds good. 14 days.w/c tomorrow , bout 70% clean off the plants and housing. feed, then treat.

i was at the store today. and i seen an african cichlid.he was dalmation and had so much charecter. i wanted him so bad but a) my tank still isnt properly cycled b) i still dont even have ph strips or ammonia strips. c) i dont even know if hed getalong with my fish.

do african cichlid get along in an 14 gallon with a betta crowntail and a single cory??,who has definetly become a stable part inmy life,lol.