PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Shrimp Stocking

Serenity
08-27-2010, 04:12 PM
10g tank just cycled with 8 guppies wanting to add some cherry shrimp how many should i start with? 5 of the guppies (males) will be moved to my 100g tank, tank has a nice piece of driftwood thats covered in java moss so there is plenty of hiding spaces

korith
08-27-2010, 04:40 PM
A 10g can easily hold a 100+ red cherry shrimp. I would start with a dozen shrimp, that way you got a nice population and have a good chance at getting a good ratio of females and males. If you leave any of the guppies in the 10g expect many shrimp casualties. Keeping a stable rcs community in a tank with any fish is difficult, almost all will look at them as a food source. Otocinclus is about the fish that is mentioned as "safe" on most of the articles I've read about red cherry shrimp. I do keep dwarf rasbora which are about 3/4" in size in a tank with the shrimp and they are doing well.

Serenity
08-27-2010, 04:44 PM
tank will mainly be for guppy fry females are about to drop is all once they pop they will be moved so the shrimp will run the tank

just realised this is in the wrong section my bad :)

JuliaC
10-23-2010, 02:21 AM
Keeping a stable rcs community in a tank with any fish is difficult, almost all will look at them as a food source. Otocinclus is about the fish that is mentioned as "safe" on most of the articles I've read about red cherry shrimp. I do keep dwarf rasbora which are about 3/4" in size in a tank with the shrimp and they are doing well.

How about pygmy cories, do you think they would bother rc shrimps?

korith
10-23-2010, 02:56 AM
How about pygmy cories, do you think they would bother rc shrimps?

I have a 40g planted tank with a few types of microrasboras, oticinclus and pygmy cories. I think maybe a dozen or so pygmy cories. The tank has a huge population of rcs in it. I've never witnessed a pygmy cory killing/eating a rcs, but that's not to say it hasn't happened.

JuliaC
10-23-2010, 04:29 AM
Ok, thanks! I will give that a try then.