PDA

View Full Version : help with archer fish

joemighty87
08-26-2010, 10:00 AM
hey guys and gals!
im new to the forum and was hoping for some help. ive got a 45gal brackish tank with a green spotted puffer a banded archer fish and just yesterday i added 2 more archers which my lfs said were banded but really don't think they are. Could you please help me! hope the pics help.

Dave66
08-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Archer fish grow to ten inches long which is far too big for your 45. All three are Toxotes jaculatrix; the bands standardize as they mature.

The puffer will be a problem, as sooner or later he'll start biting chunks out of those Archer Fishes. Best thing to do would be to return the archers to the shop and just keep the puffer in that tank.

There's more information about Archer Fish in my Oddball Primer stickied in the 'other species' forum. You'll see why I recommend not keeping them in a tank that small.

Dave

joemighty87
08-26-2010, 01:53 PM
thanks for the reply. my first archer that i had dominates my puffer so i added those 2 to even out the agression. the puffers a little smaller than the archers and tends to keep to him self. the prob i got is that the 2 new ones (in the pic) are bigger than my original and my original has more uniformed marking. i cant help but think they are small scale archers? have you had any in the past? really apprecaite your time and help on this.
p.s i plan to get a 60gal tank in the future.

smaug
08-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Dave knows what he's talking about.your tank isn't big enogh for archers. His reomendation is spot on.

joemighty87
08-26-2010, 04:47 PM
ive said i plan on getting a bigger tank. ive identified my first archer as a banded one but these other 2 look completley different. they have way to many marking on them that isnt like the banded archer. i will take daves advice about the puffer but at the moment im trying to sort out the archers.
thanks again for the help.

coolingeffect
08-26-2010, 05:16 PM
i dont think a 60 is big enough for 3 adult archers and the puffer will decide to take bites out of them. Its just a matter of time.

joemighty87
08-26-2010, 06:49 PM
guess ill have to take them back then. or get a bigger house lol
thanks for all your help on the matter

jonny5
10-14-2010, 06:37 AM
those two are almost certainly toxotes jac, but the smallscale archers look extremely similar but if a pet store carries archers its 99% of the time jac. Look at bracFaq online by neale monks, he has diagrams which can help you determine your species.