PDA

View Full Version : ABN disaster at Petco..

OrionXI
08-26-2010, 03:05 AM
So a little over two weeks ago I finally decided to buy the ABN I've been eyeballing at one of my local Petco's aquariums for awhile.. Of course it turned out that right before I came in, some damn little kids bought him.. *sigh* -__-;

Anyway, the lady there tells me it's ok because she can order some new ones for me.. woot! Two whole weeks later (today) I find out via telephone that they've arrived! I rush over to Petco asap, and get ready to pick out my new fishies! ummm... 5 are dead (some already partially eaten by freakn crazy guppies), and one is barely clinging on for his life in a corner.. really?? It's only been 4 hours since they got them in! Regardless, I took pity on the little guy and bought him.. I figured that he'd have a better chance in my aquarium than in theirs, despite an almost certain doomed future in his condition at the time..

To my surprise, as soon as I assimilated him to his new home, he happily swam over to a patch of algae on the glass and started chomping away! He was also wagging his tail back and forth like a dog does when it's happy.. lol~ I dunno if it has anything to do with how they feel, but it was really cute and refreshing to see.. I think he's gonna make it and grow up to be a healthy little fish! I'm really excited that I was able to save him from the disaster that was going on at Petco..

It's kind of odd, because usually their fish are really well taken care of and in great condition.. It looked like a lot of their new stock were really stressed and dying off right after assimilation.. I wonder if the delivery was somehow botched or something.. That Petco probably just like like $700 in saltwater fish and $200 in fresh.. :/

rothenb1
08-26-2010, 03:20 AM
lol, acclimation! But I agree, it is very possible the shipment was poor stock or it may have been delayed for some reason and the fish were in the bag too long, especially if normally their fish are well taken care of.

Good luck with the ABN, I've got one in my 55. Cute little guys!

OrionXI
08-26-2010, 03:29 AM
LOL! I knew that wasn't the correct word, but nothing else would pop into my head so I just went with it.. derp! Now I feel stupid.. xD

I think I'm gonna move my 4 emerald corys to the 15 gallon tank to free up some room in the 29 gallon as he starts to grow up.. Assuming he makes it through the next week or two.. *crosses fingers*

rothenb1
08-26-2010, 03:37 AM
Haha, close enough!

I hope your BN does well. The corys would be nice in the 15, just make sure your betta likes them too! There have been some horror stories about deranged bettas on this forum...

Keep us updated!

OrionXI
08-26-2010, 04:24 AM
hehe, thank you.. ^__^

yeah, I'm gonna experiment over the next few weeks and see how he handles other fish coming into his private sanctuary.. He's been blowing bubble nests like crazy so I'm hoping it doesn't become a territorial issue.. I've read some of those stories, and I'm not going to be taking any big risks w/ my Plakat, especially since he seems to be a rather feisty one.. heh.. >__>;

As for the ABN, he's just chillin out in a little nook behind the air diffuser right now.. I'll be sure to post an update if anything interesting or dramatic happens.. :P

thanks again! :]

Gisela
08-26-2010, 02:32 PM
What is an ABN?

Brhino
08-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Albino BristleNose pleco

Gisela
08-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks, still have sometimes a problem to figure out the shortspellings.LOL
I have a L59 Starry Night Pleco which also has some bristles in his face. Looks so cute.

OrionXI
08-26-2010, 06:02 PM
siiiigh.. Poor guy just died about an hour ago.. I checking him out earlier and he seemed fine, but then literally 10 minutes later I found him laying upside on the gravel.. I feel really bad.. -__-

Gonna take him back to Petco and get my money back, then maybe head over to the really expensive LFS that has longfin ones for $20.. ugh.. At least I know those are 100% healthy.. :|

rothenb1
08-27-2010, 02:00 AM
Awww I'm sorry!! However those longfin ABN are really, really nice.

OrionXI
08-27-2010, 04:57 AM
Awww I'm sorry!! However those longfin ABN are really, really nice.
sh*t happens, I guess.. -__-;

I went to that store and to my lack of surprise, they were out of the longfin albinos.. I ended up taking it as a sign that I am not meant to have ABN plecos, and ended up buying a regular young adult BN.. He is a really handsome guy and is about 4 inches long.. There's already some patches of algae missing off my glass, so he's definitely working his magic.. I think I'm gonna buy the female he had in there with him tomorrow.. Maybe they'll make babies! Mwuahaha.. xD

Also, I transferred my corys over to the 15 gallon and the betta lost interest after only a couple minutes.. lol~ lucky break! :)