PDA

View Full Version : New to plants (few question)

BiGBlak
08-25-2010, 11:23 PM
-Would a tank holding plants at Your LFS or at petco or petmart be cycled ?
-If there was a tank with just plants would there be any readings from your test kits ?
- Can any plants do ok in a cycling tank with the right lighting they need ?
I asked the first question because bacteria grows on plants and i feel that will help my cycle but dont want to add them and they die because of the high ammonia and unstable water conditions...

BiGBlak
08-26-2010, 03:39 AM
Something? Green Light Red Light during Cycle ?

Alasse
08-26-2010, 08:33 AM
1. Tank is more than likely not cycled
2. Dunno never tested to find out
3. Plants do perfectly well in a cycling tank, infact can assist your cycling in the fact that they use up some of the nasties.

I cycle all my tanks with fish, and all have plants in them also, never ever lost a fish, never lost a plant :)

robflanker
08-26-2010, 09:35 AM
The amount of bacteria on a plant in a cycled tank is negligible.

dnphillips08
08-26-2010, 10:31 AM
My plants have always done great in my cycling tanks! I doubt the tank at the store is cycled and I've never tested water like that so I don't know. Hope that helps!

SunSchein89
08-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Unless you planted the tank to the point where you couldn't see through it, I don't think the plants would help too much. They should have some bacteria on them, but you probably won't really notice much of a difference, if any, in the time it takes to cycle.

Plants will actually love all that extra ammonia you're giving them. As long as it's not dosed to ridiculous proportions, which would kill your cycle anyway, then they'll simply just use it to help them grow. After your tank is cycled, your plants will actually use up some of the ammonia the fish produce before the bacteria get to it, so it helps in that aspect too.