PDA

View Full Version : "Tear" in common pleco's tail?

bob saget
08-25-2010, 07:33 AM
I have been on vacation for a week, and during my time away, i asked the fish-taker-carer to give the pleco just his algae wafers, and not vegetables. when i got back, i find a little piece missing from his tail. i will try to take a picture later.
I have started him back on his diet of zucchini and cucumber, and hopefully the tail would be fixed.
should i add maracyn (sp?) to the tank?

coolingeffect
08-25-2010, 07:48 AM
what else is in the tank? When i see any fin damage i immediately look to tankmates to see who is the most likely to take a bite.

bob saget
08-25-2010, 07:57 AM
oh there is nothing else that could remotely hurt him i think. Harlies and 1 platy.

Crispy
08-25-2010, 12:12 PM
should heal quickly if he's healthy... and you seem to give him a good diet. probably happened when he thrashed his tail or something, I wouldn't worry, it's quite common for plecos.

Lady Hobbs
08-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Could he have gotten his tail caught between some rocks?

Ahhhhh.....is a swiff reply the same thing as a swift reply?
:ssmile:

bob saget
08-25-2010, 07:22 PM
yes ;)

the rocks are kind of pointy, so it could be that. he thrashes around the aquarium with a ton of force, sometimes colliding with objects so hard that I can hear it.

thanks for the help, I am less worried now.

AndorranPrince
08-26-2010, 01:52 AM
Yeah, plecos are tough little beasties. If it's a common pleco, you might want to move him into the 60 gallon.

Gisela
08-26-2010, 02:32 AM
My large common pleco had a few month ago a cut on his tummy. I am not sure how he got it but it healed fine in two weeks. I did more waterchanges and added a few days Melafix.

Lady Hobbs
08-26-2010, 03:01 AM
yes ;)

the rocks are kind of pointy, so it could be that. he thrashes around the aquarium with a ton of force, sometimes colliding with objects so hard that I can hear it.

thanks for the help, I am less worried now.

That's my thoughts. He sure didn't get a riped tail because he didn't have his cucumber for a week.

bob saget
08-26-2010, 08:59 PM
That's my thoughts. He sure didn't get a riped tail because he didn't have his cucumber for a week.

I don't know, he's very spoiled :D. Seriously, every evening about 8pm ON THE DOT, he starts circling around the area where i put the vegetables for the night. Man they are good at recognizing patterns like that.

AndorranPrince
08-26-2010, 09:30 PM
In fairness, if tasty bacon always appeared at your kitchen table at 9:00 AM, you'd be sitting there at 8:55.

bob saget
08-26-2010, 10:06 PM
hahaha yes, that's quite accurate.

bob saget
08-28-2010, 12:27 AM
completely healed, I am so happy! What a beautiful, big tail he has.

snail
08-31-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't know, he's very spoiled :D. Seriously, every evening about 8pm ON THE DOT, he starts circling around the area where i put the vegetables for the night. Man they are good at recognizing patterns like that.

I'm a bit late on this one but I'd guess he got upset at not having his veg on time and was more active than normal, thus cut his tail. Glad it is better now.