PDA

View Full Version : Strange guppy behavior??

tmmycat
06-15-2007, 10:42 PM
One of my guppies started acting differently today ... he's just swimming near the surface with his mouth on the surface. He's also not moving his mouth at all, I usually see him opening and closing it. Is this normal behavior?

I have one other guppy in the same tank who's swimming around like he usually does, going up and down and all around. They are two male guppies in a 7 gallon tank with some small snails.

Does he need more air? I have lots of live plants in this tank, and a filter that does a waterfall into the water and creates some small bubbles as it disturbs the surface ... is that enough for getting them oxygen?

This is a relatively new tank but I made sure it was cycled before I got fish ... I test the water several times a week and do a partial water change whenever I see ammonia or nitrite or nitrate higher than usual ...

Also I'm not sure if this is related, but I got a new fish in this tank last week and he died two days later ... I thought that it was because the other guppies attacked him but now I'm not so sure ... did he have some kind of disease? He was also swimming near the surface sort of like this a day before he died. The only difference was that his tail fin looked all beat up and he had lost his color ... my guppy now looks fine so far other than his sudden change in swimming behavior.

Any help is appreciated ... I am pretty new to this so I'm not sure what's happening.

tmmycat
06-15-2007, 11:00 PM
oh my ... now I just noticed, his tail end is starting to sink. He's not horizontal. my other fish who died also did that the day before he died...

:ssad: not good...

let me know what I should do ...

would pimafix and/or melafix help in this situation?

bscman
06-15-2007, 11:02 PM
What are your water parameters?

SkarloeysMom
06-15-2007, 11:07 PM
This is a relatively new tank but I made sure it was cycled before I got fish ... I test the water several times a week and do a partial water change whenever I see ammonia or nitrite or nitrate higher than usual ...

Any help is appreciated ... I am pretty new to this so I'm not sure what's happening.

Can you give specific water parameters please as of today? If you tank is cycled you should not be getting any readings on ammonia or nitrite. If you're still seeing ammonia and nitrite that may be the problem.

tmmycat
06-15-2007, 11:19 PM
I just tested, here are the readings:
pH: 8.0
nitrite: 0
ammonia: 0
nitrate: 10ppm
gH: 0
temperature: 73 degrees F

tmmycat
06-16-2007, 01:19 AM
I just noticed a red spot on his side that wasn't there before. What is it?

He is acting very disoriented now ... swimming upside down and he can't seem to control where he goes. He got caught in one of the foxtail plants and I had to help him out.

Sasquatch
06-16-2007, 02:23 PM
It's definatly some kind of disease, though exactly which, I can't say.

It could be a bacterial infection, open sores from an ich infection or a number of other things. Gasping at the surface is usually a sign on oxygen deprivation, but that doesn't seem to be likely with the water parameters you have.

Is he/was he covered with white spots before this happened?

Is the fish pale/losing his coloration?

What other symptoms are there (if any)?

SkarloeysMom
06-16-2007, 02:38 PM
This thread is being discussed on Beginner Freshwater titled "Help, my guppy is chasing the other guppies :( "