PDA

View Full Version : 10 Gallon Divided Betta Tank

Bretzz
08-25-2010, 02:54 AM
I recently (as in 10 seconds ago..) thought to turn my 10 gallon tank into a divided Betta tank. It's currently home to 6 little Tetras, but I can just move those. Saves me a lot of trouble actually.

I'm going to use this method to divide the tank http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/diy-aquarium-tank-dividers-21866/

I'm just wondering, will they be able to see each other clearly through the mesh? And how many compartments can I get away with? I was thinking 3-4. (People might get mad at that and say no! 10 gallon for one! :P )

Thanks!

MCHRKiller
08-25-2010, 03:40 AM
I would only do 3 compartments in a 10G...reason isnt gallonage its the amount of swimming space. 3 fish divided evenly will still just have around 7" of the length of the tank. I would definatly not go for more than 3 just based on the fact youd not be able to enjoy the fish nearly as much.

Another and IMO cleaner looking option is to silicon some plexiglass into the tank...its clear so it gives you a neater more finished look. Lowes or somewhere would cut the plexi for you plus the risk of a betta getting around the divider to beat up his neighbor is also minimized.

Bretzz
08-25-2010, 03:43 AM
Well I dont want the compartments to be permanent, and I'm sure the plastic mesh is a ton cheaper than getting custom-cut plexiglass :P

souly
08-25-2010, 04:04 AM
The bettas will most likely be able to see each other through mesh, and flare a lot which would cause stress. The using some sort of divided that will reflect, or be hard to see through seems to be best for the fish, and more stable then net mesh. I wouldn't do more 2 in a 10g, that gives each 5 gallons and a lot of swimming space. Every betta i've had in their own 10g before, swam around a lot because they had the space to do so.

korith
08-25-2010, 04:13 AM
Can use 2 pieces of mesh and just layer it so it breaks the line of sight. You can pick of extra mesh/canvas at walmart in the crafts section.

3 sections sounds good for a 10g.

Bretzz
08-25-2010, 04:49 AM
Ill probably layer it, thats a good idea.. 3 compartments is probably fine too! thanks