PDA

View Full Version : Common pleco

Xavier
08-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Well, my ranchus started killing my horned armor snails... each one is missing an antenna now, and it makes me angry. I loved those snails, and thought I was giving them a nice home, lots of current and got them some nice slick rocks to play on.

Since the ranchus have killed the apple snail and two nerite snails with their picking, and now the horned armor snails are afraid to move, the algae is building up. So, today I went and picked up a pleco. I asked which one was the hardiest and that the ranchu would leave alone and vice-versa.

The sales rep suggested a common pleco, but I knew they became enormous.
"Won't that become huge?"
"Yes, absolutely. That being said, I have clients that want bigger ones."
"But I don't, I want something small that won't attack my fish and will eat algae"
"That's what I am suggesting... you come here often, so I sell you a small one, and in 6-12-18 months, when it is too big, bring it here, and I'll give you a small one in exchange."

So now I have a common pleco that I'm growing for someone else in a year. LOL!

Is this an okay plan?

Brhino
08-24-2010, 08:22 PM
it's an okay plan as long as he or she holds up their end of the deal. From what I understand the demand for large common plecos is pretty low, I'm surprised she has buyers lined up.

Also, I think they eat less and less algae as they get bigger.

Xavier
08-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Well, they had almost no plecos left, been back ordered for awhile. It's also the kind of store that tests water for free, quarantines fish and lets you return problem fish without a receipt. Fine people... but it is across town.

Should I have gotten a different type? My choices are limited since my ranchus are evil. LOL!

Brhino
08-24-2010, 08:33 PM
I would think one of the small plecos like a bristlenose would probably be okay if you didn't get it as a 1" juvie, but I've never encountered evil goldfish before. They're not generally supposed to bother something they can't outright swallow, which clearly wasn't the case for your snails.

How big is your common now?

Xavier
08-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Just under 2 inches tail included. It's also very thin.

The 3 ranchus, which are also about 2 inches tail included, seemed to attempt to pick at it, but then it would move a little and spook them away. At the moment it is hiding under the driftwood.

Once it has eaten most of the algae I'll pop in a wafer at night.

Gisela
08-24-2010, 09:55 PM
It's just like in the movie "Enemy mine" where they use the aliens to work in the mine. I think buying a fish for the only purpose to clean a tank isn't for me. When I buy fish I want to take care of them, and provide them with everything they need. For me a fish is a pet, like cats or dogs, too. I got my common pleco "Nemo" 1 1/2 years ago. He is now over 14 in and moved recently in his 125 gallon. Yes, his tank, because I got it especially for him. He wasn't expensive but if you really love him you will spent big bucks for housing him. They get over 20 years old with good care. Nobody would think to give a puppy away after the grow up and get a new puppy, well maybe some people will.

Xavier
08-24-2010, 10:09 PM
I understand your POV and I agree... I want my fish to be happy and thrive, and that has made me choose very specific driftwood that ranchus don't get stuck on, rocks for my snails, quality food and peas etc...

But on the other hand, getting anything else that feeds on algae will find itself at the mercy of my ranchus. I don't want to buy new snails just to have them become food, slowly murdered by my evil, but cute, fish.

And who knows, if he grows slowly, he'll get to move in to the new tank once we (my fiance and I) move out of this place. Lease is up in 22 months, and the plan is to get a larger tank in the 100-200gal range.

Gisela
08-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Hope you can see the personality in them. Mine let me touch him. He gets every day fresh zucchini and romain lettuce plus a variety of sinking wafers etc. When I had to grab him to move him from the 55 gallon to the 125 gallon he was upset with me for almost a week, hiding behind the large driftwood piece in the middle. He looked out behind the driftwood and came only for eating up in front when I sat on a chair. If I moved or stand up he went back behind the driftwood or like I call it "his garage".

Xavier
08-24-2010, 10:40 PM
I love all fish and even got attached to my snails, which is why I was so upset when I saw one of the ranchus chewing off one of its antenna... The snail is over an inch long, brown and covered in spikes... I was sure that would deter them, and it did... for awhile.

The pleco is already sitting on the anubias plants eating and he doesn't seem spooked by me or the ranchus for now. I hope he enjoys his home with plants and driftwood more than the bare tank at the LFS.

Gisela
08-24-2010, 10:45 PM
I believe you will care good for him. It just gets sometimes to me in what big amounts the catch this beautiful plecos in the wild and most will never get the chance to get old and big because people get rid of them when they get to big. We had a case here at Petsmart were a guy brought in a 15 in pleco and put him in the open tank, where they keep the plants and snails. When the associate asked him what he was doing he said if you don't take him I kill him. So he agreed to leave him there, luckily they could adopt him out in a week.

wolverine
08-26-2010, 07:30 PM
I find gibbie's and common pleco's beautiful fish but few people realise what they are taking on.... I have adopted two sailfin and one common pleco in the past from past owners with small ten gallon tanks.

and my tanks are a 5 gallon, and a 23 gallon and a 26 gallon, hardly big, but at least I know what I am doing with pleco and fish keeping.

I will keep the pleco until I can get a bigger tank or until I can find another breeder that can give them the space they need. At least they stand a better chance than they did, all three are in clean well cared for tanks and looked after.

So if you know any one who wants some nice pleco's in a few onths time then pint them my way- south yorkshire in the UK :))

eljay

Xavier
09-14-2010, 04:00 AM
So I was speaking with the betta breeder today about my common pleco, and how I will need to change him for something else in the future and he recommended a "Bushy Nose Pleco". This would be for my ranchu tank. Any thoughts?

Brhino
09-14-2010, 04:16 AM
aka the bristlenose pleco. Probably the most popular pleco among "informed" fish keepers. Stays small (4-6"), supposedly a good algae eater (mine just eats fish food and the veggies I give it). Good choice.

AndorranPrince
09-14-2010, 09:00 PM
So long as you know what you're doing, it's not a huge problem. Remember most commons only get 10gs :P

Here's some growth expectancies for a common (IME);
4 inches in 2 months
6 inches in 3 months
8 inches in 8 months (at this point is outgrowing your tank)
9 inches in a year
12 inches for 2 years, then their growth slows a lot.