PDA

View Full Version : Moving a community with a betta..

Lindsey
08-24-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm moving my tank to college this week and I'm not sure how to do this... I've never had problems personally with aggression but it seems a lot of people do. Would it be safe enough to move all my fish, betta included, in the same bag, or should I move the community and the betta separately and add him to the tank after the others have been re-established for a few hours?

Brhino
08-24-2010, 07:48 PM
or should I move the community and the betta separately and add him to the tank after the others have been re-established for a few hours?

that's what I'd do. It sounds a lot safer and its not really that much more work.

CGY_Betta_Guy
08-24-2010, 08:11 PM
How many fish are we talking about here and how long would they be in the bag for?

Lindsey
08-24-2010, 08:23 PM
3 black tetras, 3 glofish, 3 kuhli loaches and 2 raphael catfish. It's a huge pondfish-sized bag built for holding fullgrown koi, and they'd be in the bag for 3-4 hours tops, probably less.

harpua2002
08-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Be sure to leave plenty of air in the bag (when I ship fish, it's about 1/3 water and 2/3 air). I would strongly recommend moving the betta separately; he probably won't appreciate everything going on in the bag full of community fish. I hate to even bring up the subject of betta cups, as I do NOT agree with bettas being sold in little cups, but honestly they work great for transporting bettas if you happen to have one laying around.

CGY_Betta_Guy
08-24-2010, 09:42 PM
I would agree moving the betta separately would be best. I have moved my betta to and from work on occasion using an old wide rim water bottle/jar. Water tight and lots of room for him to swim in and out of when catching and releasing him. Just needs a bit of patience to wait for him to get in and out of the bottle and no need for a net.

korith
08-24-2010, 09:49 PM
When in doubt, put just a few fish into each bag. Any that you think may have problems with another, bag it separate. Then get a box or cooler, and put the fish into it, they will calmer in the dark. They should be safe for the trip.

Lindsey
08-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Alright, thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it. The community fish are going into one big bag together, and the betta will be either in his own large bag or a separate container depending on what I can find before tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes, and maybe get pics up after the tank's fixed up -- I'm redecorating after it goes back up with new rocks and driftwood, the fish should love some new shelter.

harpua2002
08-25-2010, 05:29 PM
One of those disposable food storage containers with some holes poked in the lid should be fine for transporting a betta, if you have some laying around. :)