PDA

View Full Version : Want a happy community Betta? Get a bushy floating plant.

FinalJenemba
08-23-2010, 06:30 AM
Not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but I haven't really seen it mentioned so I thought I would post my experience for people new to bettas. Especially who want to add one to a community.

I "rescued" a lone female betta from a walmart about a couple months ago (nobody buys a brown female betta, looked like shed been there a long, long time). I decided to put her in my big community tank to see how she'd do. Tank has a GBR, a Geo, a Keyhole, 2 Angels, 2 Rainbow Cichlids, 3 yoyo's, 4 Ottos, and an Albino Bristle-nose plec.

Everything went ok aggression wise, the other fish left her alone, but she never seemed very happy. She seemed stressed out by the busyness of the tank, and spent all of her time hiding behind the hob. I happened to remember something I had read about bettas liking cover at the top of the tank, so I added a clump of anacharis as a floating plant. To my delight she did a total 180. She made a "home" out of the anacharis, and is now one of the most active fish in the tank. She gets along with everybody, even the Angels. And if she gets at all stressed out, she just goes and hangs out in her house, where no one can see her or bother her. The difference in behavior was astounding. So much so that I added some anacharis to my male bettas 10g and he treats it like his own personal amusement park. I have never seen a fish seeming having so much fun. thumbs2:

Sorry if its been posted before, but thats just my 2¢ from my experience. Thanks for listening!

rich311k
08-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks, I could see bettas and gouramis enjoying floating cover like that. They do come from slow moving over grown water.

Aeonflame
08-23-2010, 02:17 PM
I have a huge water lettuce in my betta pond and he likes hanging out in the thick flowing roots

korith
08-23-2010, 02:58 PM
I've been using dwarf water lettuce in a few of my tanks. A lot of fish will get more active when there isn't a wide open space above them. Makes them feel a bit safer. I had to give up on hornwort, that stuff just grows too fast.

bludusty
08-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Great advice, I'm sure it will be very benefical to those who keep bettas. Thanks for shaing.