PDA

View Full Version : Longfin Bristlenose and Plakat Betta -- compatability?

OrionXI
08-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Do you guys think my plakat betta will freak out over a bristlenose pleco's long fins and attack it? I know plecos usually get along fine with bettas, but I've never really thought about the longfin ones.. o__O

I ask because I'm about to buy 2 albino bristlenose plecos, and have the option of getting the fancy kind, but I dunno if I should risk it.. :x

Anyone particularly know from experience?

FinalJenemba
08-23-2010, 06:03 AM
Do you guys think my plakat betta will freak out over a bristlenose pleco's long fins and attack it? I know plecos usually get along fine with bettas, but I've never really thought about the longfin ones.. o__O

I ask because I'm about to buy 2 albino bristlenose plecos, and have the option of getting the fancy kind, but I dunno if I should risk it.. :x

Anyone particularly know from experience?

Iv never had that specific combo, but in my experience with my bettas they dont care about any fish other than other bettas. I have a female betta in my big community tank with a GBR, a Geo, a Keyhole, 2 Angels, 2 Rainbow Cichlids, 3 yoyo's, 4 Ottos, and an Albino Bristle-nose plec. No issues, she likes everybody and they like her. Yes, she even gets along with the angels, who she shares the top of the tank with. But I housed a male betta in there temporarily in a fish breeder once, and she did everything thing she could to kill it, the male was terrified lol.

I also have a male betta in my 10g with 6 Glass Cats and 2 Ottos, also no issues.

rich311k
08-23-2010, 11:16 AM
I doubt there would be anykind of problem. I would not put two BNs in a 15 gallon tank though.

OrionXI
08-23-2010, 12:38 PM
cool! Thank you for the info~

@ rich311k -yeah, I was planning on putting one in each tank.. In fact, I'm probably going to buy only one for now and see how well he cleans up the algae in the 29 gallon.. :x

I'd rather have my corys in the 15 gallon than a pleco.. It's got sand substrate so they should enjoy it more.. :]

thanks again! ^__^

SunSchein89
08-23-2010, 07:25 PM
I did have one betta that picked on a BN pleco, but he was picking on every other living thing in the tank at the time, too. It's hit or miss, but of all the fish a betta would be aggressive towards, I'd say plecos are the least of your worries.

OrionXI
08-23-2010, 07:54 PM
hehe~ yeah, I've read that some bettas are just extremely aggressive in general.. I only got this guy like 5 days ago so I don't really know what kind of personality he has yet.. He was flaring and swimming wildly this morning (no idea at what.. lol) when the lights came on though.. xD

sigh.. now I just need to find a BN.. Suddenly every LFS is sold out.. :|

wolverine
08-26-2010, 07:14 PM
I have a breeding pair of BN pleco in a 26gallon tank, in fact they have 3 batches of upto 100 babies in there with them and get on well in that size tank, though must admit that the tank is filtered with a Fluval 4plus and a fluval 3 plus with sand substrate.

I have tried many varieties of betta in with the pleco's as well as guppies and mollies and can safely say up to this moment in time and over many years of breeding experience that my betta have fin nipped and had many a gourmet male on both guppies and pleco fins.

Now the plecos do often get away and recover though most of the other fish didn't even though betta like guppies are middle to top fish the betta like sleeping and resting at the bottom of the tank and as such can often nip the occasional passing fish no matter what size.

I therefore would never put any male betta with pleco, guppies or mollies.

I do have a successful juwel rekord 80 tank that as a few guppies and mollies in along with 3 female betta.

So just be careful with male betta, and any chance of aggressive behaviour then I would isolate the said male betta to a smaller tank like they are much more accustomed to.

Hope this helps prospective people and a few fish along the way.

LJ

OrionXI
08-26-2010, 07:56 PM
thanks for the great info, wolverine! I appreciate it! :)