PDA

View Full Version : Brown Algae Expert Needed!

Cichlid_Man
06-15-2007, 11:20 AM
I am just about out of ideas on how to rid my tank of brown algae.
I scrape it off and it is back the next day. I have tried massive water changes and used several products to no avail.
I was told it could be some slate that I put in there, but I removed it months ago and no help.

The tank is up since 9/06. The water perameters are perfect.
I was wondering if maybe the cichlid lake salt or buffers or epsom salt I use contain phosphorous or silicates?

Maybe I should just change out the water and add back nothing?
Any ideas?
It is ugly!
I tried algae eaters but my cichlids torment them :-)
Thanks!

Lady Hobbs
06-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Here's a link about algaes.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/algae.htm

Is your tank getting enough light?

Fishguy2727
06-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Brown algae is a low light algae, usually getting a new bulb will fix it. The newer bulb will favor green algae over brown.

Cichlid_Man
06-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the links Hobbs!

Fishguy?
What do you mean a new bulb?
Brighter? Different in color?

crackatinny
06-15-2007, 01:00 PM
My whole convict tank is based on slate, the gravel is small slate, and the cave is made of slate, I had an outbreak a while back, when you 1st started talking about your problem, but it ended up just going away, and all the slate is still there.

Fishguy2727
06-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Fluorescent bulbs constantly lose intensity and shift spectrum. By about 6 months they are relatively weak (even if we can't see a difference). Buying a new bulb will provide a more intense light in the original spectrum of the bulb. This can usually shift the favor for algae from brown to green.

Cichlid_Man
06-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks Crackatinny!

Thanks Fishguy!
I understand now....

I hardly use my light to begin with because the fish don't like it....
Maybe I can just leave it on longer when I get a new bulb.

Lady Hobbs
06-15-2007, 02:55 PM
They're get used to more light. My tanks are all lit 12 hours a day. Sometimes even more.